PDA

View Full Version : Charging + special attack

Tekanan
04-10-2010, 09:44 AM
What I'm about to ask is a basic question and I may be reading too much into it, but I would like a clarification on this issue.

1) Can I charge and use a special attack like thresher instead of my normal attack? (i.e. Man-O-War Demolition Corps succeeds in charging and decides to use the Ice Breaker special attack as its charge attack).

2) Can my warjack charge and use his special attack as his charge attack? (i.e. Kodiak charges and uses Vent Steam as his charge attack). If allowed to, which dmg roll is the boosted one?

3) Where exactly is this issue covered in the rulebook?

I know that a warjack cannot use a power attack as his charge attack, but I don't know whether that applies units' special attacks.

I also recently found out that you cannot use power/special attacks as your additional attacks regardless of whether it is a jack, unit or solo.

vintersbastard
04-10-2010, 10:08 AM
There you go:

A charging model [...] must use its action to make a combat action, choosing to make either initial melee attacks or (if it can make a special attack with a melee weapon) a melee special attack.
*attacks that are not part of a melee weapon's rules can only be used on a charge if they specifically say so, which Vent Steam does not if I remember correctly. The Devastator's Rain of Death, for example, does include the necessary phrase.

If a *attack generates more than one attack, only the first attack, which must be made against the charge target, will be boosted. But only if this attack is made with a melee weapon. (Same page as the quote above, next paragraph)

lobachevskii
04-10-2010, 10:08 AM
You can make a melee special attack at the end of a charge (assuming the rules of the special attack don't prevent this).

The charge target is the only model against which the damage roll is boosted.

ApocalypseRAT
04-10-2010, 10:59 AM
So can a Warjack, say Manticore, use it's combo srike *attack on the charge without using a focus for the attack. besides the focus used for the charge of course.

kaapelikala
04-10-2010, 11:19 AM
So can a Warjack, say Manticore, use it's combo srike *attack on the charge without using a focus for the attack. besides the focus used for the charge of course.

*Attacks are not bought with focus/forcing. They are attacks made instead of your initial attacks. So yes, you can Charge Combostrike with a McThrall, Slayer, Manticore and so on for that better punch. Then you buy new attacks.

kc7sbp
04-11-2010, 12:15 AM
Keep in mind that using a *attack/action replaces all of your initial attacks so you don't get to *attack with a primary weapon then normal attack with a second weapon. As long as a *attack/action is a melee attack, the model meets the conditions required for the *attack, and it doesn't specifically say that it can't be used as a charge attack then you can use it as charge attack. Warjack Power Attacks are all specifically unable to be used as a charge attack (pg. 51 MKII book). All power attacks are *attacks, but not all *attacks are power attacks.

DoktorVivi
04-11-2010, 12:51 AM
As long as a *attack/action is a melee attack, the model meets the conditions required for the *attack, and it doesn't specifically say that it can't be used as a charge attack then you can use it as charge attack.

Occasionally you can also use a non-melee *attack on a charge, as long as it specifically allows it. (The Devastator's Rain of Death *attack specifically allows use on charge, while the Kodiak's Vent Steam *attack does not)

Tekanan
04-11-2010, 01:08 AM
So correct me if I'm wrong, but this means that the man-o-war demo corps' ice breaker special attack can be executed on the charge since it is the melee weapon's special attack right?

(Kodiak's vent steam does not come from his melee weapon, hence unable to be used on the charge unlike the devastator where it specifically says so).

SteveBob316
04-11-2010, 02:05 AM
So correct me if I'm wrong, but this means that the man-o-war demo corps' ice breaker special attack can be executed on the charge since it is the melee weapon's special attack right?

(Kodiak's vent steam does not come from his melee weapon, hence unable to be used on the charge unlike the devastator where it specifically says so).

Yes, the Demo Corps can use Ice Breaker - That's a 14 + 4d6 Jackbuster.

They can also use Backswing (though only the first attack is a charge attack). It ain't Thresher, but it's close.

as for question 3), check the mark II rulebook under "Charge" (p. 47), third paragraph.

AlexCastaway
02-07-2011, 12:43 PM
Yes, the Demo Corps can use Ice Breaker - That's a 14 + 4d6 Jackbuster.

They can also use Backswing (though only the first attack is a charge attack). It ain't Thresher, but it's close.

as for question 3), check the mark II rulebook under "Charge" (p. 47), third paragraph.

But why only the first attack, the Attack reads that but swings are simultaneously. WOuldn't that mean both are boosted?

Page 47 says the first attack is boosted, and backswing overs two that simultaneously.

rydiafan
02-07-2011, 12:45 PM
1) Simultaneous or not, they are still two attacks, and charging only boosts one of them.
2) Do not necro-thread. Start a new thread if you have a question. This thread is 10 months old.