PDA

View Full Version : Ignoring models while charging

miniatureian
12-03-2013, 09:15 PM
Many effects, for various reasons, allow charging through a model as long as they don't end overlapping bases. (Flying, ghostly, agile, etc)

Charging model turns to face some vector.

After charging, the charging model directly faces the target.

Then there's some rule I have trouble interpreting. I think it says that the charging model can't let the target exit melee once in melee (during charge move)?

If a charge goes straight through, such that a 180 turn at the end of the charge was needed, would that charge be illegal?
Which means that only 360 vision models can charge straight through targets?

Warfrog
12-03-2013, 09:36 PM
Yes only models with 360 degree arcs could charge directly over their charge target. And be more the theoretical math majors jump on me if the charge target has the same or smaller size base even they can't charge directly over it.

This is because once the charge target enters the charging models melee range the charging model must keep it there. If this is on a 180 degree arc there is no way t move over and past the target without it leaving melee range as you cannot turn during the movement. On a 360 degree arc with the same sized base if it charges directly at the target there will be a moment when they perfectly overlap and the target leaves melee range. If the target is smaller the angle must be even greater from the normal as the moment it completely Eclipses the smaller base the target will be out of melee range.

RorinTh
12-04-2013, 12:47 AM
It would be interesting to hear a ruling on the smaller base issue, is a model in you melee if it is below/inside your model?

For the same base size there should be no problem, the line where the bases pass eachother so perfectly that you at some point cant see the model is only theoretical and will never actually happen in game (it is impossible to make the move so perfect for a number of resons), the same way one model of the same bases size cant block line of sight between two other models of the same base size.

Stormpuppy_Infantry
12-04-2013, 04:16 AM
It would be interesting to hear a ruling on the smaller base issue, is a model in you melee if it is below/inside your model?

For the same base size there should be no problem, the line where the bases pass eachother so perfectly that you at some point cant see the model is only theoretical and will never actually happen in game (it is impossible to make the move so perfect for a number of resons), the same way one model of the same bases size cant block line of sight between two other models of the same base size.

Every pass over model ability must require enough space to pass. And melee range does not come into base as well. So if charge target's base is completely obscured by charger's base anytime, it is illegal charge move and should be rollback to legal position.

Warfrog
12-04-2013, 05:18 AM
The reason I point out the same sized base one is although it basically impossible for the human eye to gauge this a model under an effect that forces it to move directly at a model would not be able to charge over as if you are truly moving directly towards them you will encounter this position. For example the locker animus of the titan sentry would cause this.

The Captain
12-04-2013, 05:39 AM
The reason I point out the same sized base one is although it basically impossible for the human eye to gauge this a model under an effect that forces it to move directly at a model would not be able to charge over as if you are truly moving directly towards them you will encounter this position. For example the locker animus of the titan sentry would cause this.
Once bases overlap, you're no longer moving directly toward, as the distance is not decreasing. Thus, if you're forced to move directly toward, you can't go further than B2B anyway.

solkan
12-04-2013, 05:49 AM

That is already specified in the rules, and has been repeated by Infernals.

From one of the threads: https://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?101459-flight-360-LOS-charge&p=1374137&viewfull=1#post1374137

Answer is: a model's melee range extends from the edge of its base outwards. Therefore, if you completely cover your target's base while moving through it via flight (or other rules that would let you move through bases), then it has left your melee range, and thus is not a legal move for a charge.

I've also edited my above post given this confirmation.

Blaque
12-04-2013, 09:22 PM
It should be noted to the OP that Ghostly does not let you ignore intervening models for movement.

And stuff.