PDA

View Full Version : What are the proper steps for a Unit Charge Order?

phamtom
12-04-2013, 07:57 AM
I have a situation that shows up quite a bit.

I attempt to position my unit just outside of my opponent's unit charge threat range. My opponent declares a charge order. He picks one model in his unit and charges one of my model in my unit. It's a failed charge. So, he decides to run the rest of the unit to a better position or charge a different unit/jack.

This doesn't seem right. Is this allowed?

Or...Should the proper steps be?
1) Declare Charge Order
2) Designate a charge target or run option for each model in the unit
3) Start moving each models.
4) Attack.

Thanks in advance.

Mod_Neldar
12-04-2013, 08:07 AM
His procedure is correct.

The unit gets the charge/run order.

The first model declares a charge or run. It moves. If it was a charge check for the 3" minimum move and success.

Second model declares charge/run, moves, checks charge if applicable.

And so on.

After all movements are done, resolve attacks.

Mr. Golden Deal
12-04-2013, 08:09 AM
What Neldar said, the only difference between what you said and what you said is that you don't have to declare who's running and charging at the same time, you declare one model's charge/run, then move onto the next one.

Vorath
12-04-2013, 08:11 AM
The steps are as follows:
1) Issue a charge order.
2) Move the first unit after declaring the charge target, measure distance, don't be a jerk about it
3) Move the next model in the unit after declaring it's charge target (they do not have to be the same target)
3b) For any members of the unit who cannot make a valid charge, they can opt to forefit their combat action and do a run this turn since a charge order was given to the unit
3c) Run any members upfield.
3b) repeat above for all models remaining. Remember, you *can* use your own guys as charge targets if you're desperate.
4) Resolve any Assault attacks that may result from the charge
4b) Resolve first initial melee attack from the charge on the chosen first model, then resolve any subsequent attacks
4c) make sure to include any bonuses like "Gang" that grant a bonus to having another member of the unit in distance X from target/self
4d) repeat 4b for all models that charged and did not run.

5) Profit.

----
edit: when i started typing there were no replies posted....

Mod_Neldar
12-04-2013, 08:15 AM
The steps are as follows:
1) Issue a charge order.
2) Move the first unit after declaring the charge target, measure distance, don't be a jerk about it
3) Move the next model in the unit after declaring it's charge target (they do not have to be the same target)
3b) repeat above for all models that are charging.
3c) For any members of the unit who cannot make a valid charge, they can opt to forefit their combat action and do a run this turn since a charge order was given to the unit
3d) Run any members upfield.
4) Resolve any Assault attacks that may result from the charge
4b) Resolve first initial melee attack from the charge on the chosen first model, then resolve any subsequent attacks
4c) make sure to include any bonuses like "Gang" that grant a bonus to having another member of the unit in distance X from target/self
4d) repeat 4b for all models that charged and did not run.

5) Profit.

----
edit: when i started typing there were no replies posted....

Step 2 and 3c don't have to happen in that order. You can run first if you want or mix runs and charges as you go through the unit possibly opening charge lanes for troopers yet to move.

Vorath
12-04-2013, 08:19 AM
yeah, i know, i did a few edits while you were replying (including talking about running a guy then charging him to overtake and get in range that way....).
at first i was more concerned with making sure i got all the possibilites down then making sure it was exactly that chronological order. i typically just do all the runs at the end so i typed it that way first.

Mr. Golden Deal
12-04-2013, 08:29 AM
yeah, i know, i did a few edits while you were replying (including talking about running a guy then charging him to overtake and get in range that way....).
at first i was more concerned with making sure i got all the possibilites down then making sure it was exactly that chronological order. i typically just do all the runs at the end so i typed it that way first.
Tactics/strategy aren't really part of the rules forum, and can sometimes make things less clear.

Also, Overtake is only enemy model, you couldn't charge your own model to kill him and Overtake into the enemy.

Vorath
12-04-2013, 08:35 AM
ahh, i don't have the rules on me at work, i thought overtake was on a "living" model.
and i realize tactics aren't rules, which is where the edits came from :)
trying to stick to the facts directly, though it is impossible to be 100% unbiased, we are, after all, humans. :)

--
edited top post to remove overtake comment.

Falkman
12-04-2013, 09:06 AM
3b) For any members of the unit who cannot make a valid charge, they can opt to forefit their combat action and do a run this turn since a charge order was given to the unit
This is not correct. A model can always choose to run when it receives a charge order, not only when it can't charge.

Vorath
12-04-2013, 09:23 AM
i realize that. If you know up front your guy won't make it, it's wise to make them run. my statement of "can opt to run....since a charge order was given" is pretty clear that the charge order will allow a run to take place as well, and how you do it is up to you, and since you're measuring your distance on the first guy, if he's the closest and barely makes it, your back-row guys likely won't and you can choose at that time to run them.

I fail to see how my statement is wrong.

Falkman
12-04-2013, 10:11 AM
I fail to see how my statement is wrong.

"For any members of the unit who cannot make a valid charge, they can opt to forefit their combat action and do a run"
Makes it sound like only the guys who fulfill the bolded part can make a run.

Stormpuppy_Infantry
12-04-2013, 10:27 AM
Even if a unit member cannot charge but you can choose them to charge. But because they can't charge, they must forfeit movement and actions. You can still choose individual model to charge whatever it can or can't.

juckto
12-04-2013, 03:54 PM
@ Stormpuppy: that is incorrect (as pointed out in the other thread).

Incorrect, a model must have both it's movement and action to perform a charge. If it cannot charge, it must run. If it cannot run because it sacrificed action, it makes a full advance. If it cannot run because it sacrificed movement, it does nothing.

solkan
12-04-2013, 04:51 PM
@ Stormpuppy: that is incorrect (as pointed out in the other thread).

No, Mod_RedPhantasm is incorrect. That is one of the more common errors concerning the charge order. See any of the old "Icy Grip vs. cannot charge" threads.

When a model receives the charge order, it chooses between must run and must charge, and faces the consequences of not being able to follow through as specified in those rules. A model that does not have its movement or action available can in fact choose the "must run" option.

juckto
12-04-2013, 08:31 PM
I'm not quite sure which part in particular you're trying to correct, Solkan?

Stormpuppy_Infantry
12-04-2013, 10:13 PM
I'm not quite sure which part in particular you're trying to correct, Solkan?

Unit member can choose to charge or run regardless they can or cannot. But when soneone choose to do what it can't, then the model suffer penalty to that. We just don't do in games because it is usually bad choice. But it does not means that we can't.

Maudlin
12-05-2013, 07:27 AM
Correct, you freely pick either charge or run, then resolve your choice including any restrictions.

Mod_Redphantasm
12-05-2013, 10:21 AM
No, Mod_RedPhantasm is incorrect. That is one of the more common errors concerning the charge order. See any of the old "Icy Grip vs. cannot charge" threads.

When a model receives the charge order, it chooses between must run and must charge, and faces the consequences of not being able to follow through as specified in those rules. A model that does not have its movement or action available can in fact choose the "must run" option.

To clarify I meant that the model functionally does nothing. It has to choose run, but with no movement cant actually go anywhere or do anything. I did not mean you skip it's activation.

Sometimes Mods can be incorrect, it's not often, and leads to great suffering.