PDA

View Full Version : Wolfrider assault clarification

SteelKosak
12-08-2013, 05:53 AM
Ok so I keep asking around and depending on who and the situation I get differing answers.

When I use Assault with wolf riders I normally end up using it against single wound infantry and it causes confusion.

Here's the scenario....if I assault a model in the "second rank" I generally end up hitting two models in the "front rank". My assault throw kills the assault target but I am more than my 0.5" melee range away.

Do I then get my two initial attacks, one from rider and one from wolf against the models in the front rank?
Does the fact my assault move ended more than 0.5" from the assault target make it a failed charge there fore I get no initial attacks at all?

Thanks

Stormpuppy_Infantry
12-08-2013, 06:08 AM
If you failed the charge then you can't do anything after charge and its activation is immediatly ended. But because Assault allows to still perform ranged attack after failed charge, so even if you failed charge you still can have assault shoot.

And Assault ranged attack is NOT initial attack. It is extra attack opportunity granted by Assault and it is seperated with combat action.

If you end charge movement, then found that it is failed the charge or not first. If it is failed, then you may shoot assault shot and the model's activation is immediatly end, no another actions. If you did not failed the charge, then you may shoot assault shot and move next unit member, and after every member finish movement, then you will perform charge attack to the target, or just perform a melee attack against another target if charge target is already removed from table.

Leo_the_Rat
12-08-2013, 07:18 AM
Also don't forget your impact attack. If there is a model between you and your charge target you get to attack it with an impact attack. Then if you kill it you continue on to your target.
If you end your movement within .5" and then kill your target with your assault attack you can then use your initial attack against any other model in play. But that attack will not get the charge bonus.

lobachevskii
12-08-2013, 07:30 AM
Also don't forget your impact attack. If there is a model between you and your charge target you get to attack it with an impact attack. Then if you kill it you continue on to your target.

Wolfriders are light cavalry, they don't get impact attacks.

SteelKosak
12-08-2013, 07:55 AM
stormpuppy_infantry......I already knew that the assault attack is an additional attack due to special rule not an initial attack. Thanks for responding though.

The question is to do with where the model ends and if it gets attacks after the assault depending on placement.

Stormpuppy_Infantry
12-08-2013, 07:58 AM
stormpuppy_infantry......I already knew that the assault attack is an additional attack due to special rule not an initial attack. Thanks for responding though.

The question is to do with where the model ends and if it gets attacks after the assault depending on placement.

Oops, I didn't notice 'initial attack with rider and wolf.' Sorry. :(

Anyway, you can shoot assault ranged attack regardless the charge was failed or not, and you determine charge was failed or not before assault shot so you will not failed charge to kill the target by assault ranged attack. When your model have the target after charge movement then it is successful charge, so the model's activation is not ended by failed charge and it can attack another eligible target with melee weapons even if charge target is removed from table. If the charge fails, then only you can got is assault ranged attack and no other actions.

Michael
12-08-2013, 08:02 AM
If you ended your movement without your charge target in your melee range, then you have made a failed charge.

Assault grants you the ranged attack first, but after that your activation ends because you failed your charge.

Your movement ends, your activation ends, you do not get light cavalry movement; that is that.

However, If you ended your movement with your charge target in melee range, then destroyed your charge target with the Assault ranged attack, you can still make your initial melee attacks against other models in your melee range. You do not get any charge bonuses for your attack, though.

Does that clarify things?

Stormpuppy_Infantry
12-08-2013, 08:03 AM
Does that clarify things?

It is much better than mine.

SteelKosak
12-08-2013, 09:16 AM
Brilliant and thank you Michael