PDA

View Full Version : Where charging stops

pompelj
04-11-2010, 09:02 AM
Hey! I'm always in dilema when it comes to charges. My friend is certain that when a model charges, he can't move beyond the closest point to the model charged, meaning he can't move away from model during the charge that would bring charging model into melee with model charged. But on the other hand I think model can than move beyond closest meeting point (so he moves away), but must still have LoS and must remain engaged with the model charged.

jonconcarne
04-11-2010, 09:26 AM
Hey! I'm always in dilema when it comes to charges. My friend is certain that when a model charges, he can't move beyond the closest point to the model charged, meaning he can't move away from model during the charge that would bring charging model into melee with model charged. But on the other hand I think model can than move beyond closest meeting point (so he moves away), but must still have LoS and must remain engaged with the model charged.

You do not have to charge in the line that is from center of the first base to the center of the second. The rule for charges is that you have to charge in a straight line, and when your movement ends, turn to face the charge target. If they are not in your melee, the charge fails. I'm not quite sure if that's what you're asking, but here's a little diagram for what I think you're asking.

...y.B
......x
......A

Model A can charge model B by moving to point x, where it is already directly facing model B, or it can charge model B by moving to point y, then turning to face model B. Either is valid.

Tevesh
04-11-2010, 09:30 AM
When a model charges it must do so in a straight line, in which the model needs to be looking exactly where it's charging. If you try this, you might have your model turn so his target is out of LOS, in which case you can't charge. The most you can do is charge "to the side" if you've got a Reach weapon, but otherwise you can't really squeeze out the necessary 3" to get the bonus.

admanb
04-11-2010, 11:49 AM

No one else seems to get what you're asking, but you're correct. As long as the target remains in your melee range, it doesn't matter how odd your charge angle is.

Masanori
04-11-2010, 02:26 PM
OK u have to rephrase yer question friend. Are you trying to find out if u can charge,

a. in any straight line as long as it finishes the charge still in melee n front arc?
OR
b. charge in a straight line, both models get within 1/2" of each other but than the charging keeps on going cause he has the speed, but as long as the charging models front arc n melee are still in?

brotherscott
04-11-2010, 02:35 PM
Charging for extra movement is a valid tactic, but if the charge fails, that models activation ends immediately. Any spells cast would have to be done at the beginning of the warcaster's activation. Also, if you charge a friendly model, the model makes an attack against and must its target.

In Prime MK II, the section on charging starts on page 44. It outlines the rules pertaining to charging, and will list additional references as needed.

n00buaddib
04-12-2010, 04:14 AM
I'm the friend. Here's the thing:

In mk I, a very good WM player told me the following:

you have model A and model B. Let's say model A charges model B, both have reach. model A moves b2b to the side while charging and then continues to move past model A (let's say model A is turned at such an angle no free strike occures) and moves let's say 1 inch away from model A, then stops, turns to face him and attacks. Is this legal?

Or on a more simple case, model A and B are 1'' apart. both have reach. Model A charges literally past model B for let's say 4 inches, is barely within reach when he stops, tuns about 160° to be facing directly towards model B and makes his attacks. Really?

ResurrectioN
04-12-2010, 04:19 AM
^
All good if charging model had charge target in melee range from the point it first got it into melee range 'till the end of movement.

Macallan
04-15-2010, 02:40 AM
How about doing what the rules say? :)

"After declaring a charge, the charging model turns to face any direction that will bring it to within melee range of its target...
At the end of the charge movement, the charging model turns to face its target directly."