PDA

View Full Version : Whiplash and counter magic

Xylon
01-07-2014, 06:49 AM
Ok, I have a rules interaction question, see if this has happened to any one. Blackclad Wayfarer sprays epic Eiryss and misses, she has "whiplash" so the blackclad becomes the target, but he cannot be targeted by spells being in a counter magic zone. How would you work this out, a) spell fails and fizzles, or Whiplash takes priority?

Walter
01-07-2014, 07:16 AM
As I recall counter magic doesn't stop your models from being targeted by spells. It stops the enemy from targeting your models with spells. I think that your blackclad could certainly spray himself. eEiryss becomes the point of origin, but never becomes the caster.

Xylon
01-07-2014, 07:26 AM
That's what I am thinking too, but wasn't sure. Now comes the 2nd part of that you target her because she's out of range and cannot target your intended target between you and her, the spray still originates from her base, correct?

WoldGnome
01-07-2014, 07:27 AM
The exact wording is "cannot be targeted by enemy spells" so it would hinge on whether the whiplashed spell is considered friendly or enemy.

Pixl
01-07-2014, 10:24 AM
You should realy put this in the rules question forum since.

1. It is a rules question :)
2. Might be someone that, is not a circle player and don't read this part of the forum, that have an answer.
3. If there is a definite answer to this question in this post in the end, it will also not be found if someone search the rules forum for an answer.

As for OT i really don't know if it becomes an enemy attack or not.
There are threads on the rules forum that clearly says you do NOT move the template though but instead just suffers one hit...

WoldGnome
01-07-2014, 10:46 AM
Looking at other posts whiplash transfers the hit. So depending on the wording on whiplash (which I don't have) may not involve actually targeting anything. Which would mean that countermagic does nothing.

Probably worth posting this in the rules forum to get a definitive answer.

pRophaniti1978
01-07-2014, 02:34 PM
"Whiplash: When an enemy model misses this model with a magic attack, the attacking model becomes the target and is automatically hit by the attack. [AOE section] This model is the point of origin for all these attacks."

Doesn't change the caster of the spell. Similar to chanelling re point of origin.

vs spray attacks; based previous rulings on this forum I have read, just move the hit to the attacker, the template itself stays where it is.

Crate123
01-07-2014, 02:43 PM
Yeah dont move the template.

prkl
01-07-2014, 11:20 PM
You make the attack missing Eiryss against yourself and make the other attack rolls under the template normally.

You don't move the template:

https://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?131675-Whiplash-and-sprays

WoldGnome
01-09-2014, 04:40 AM
The question isn't about moving the template its about whether countermagic stops whiplash targeting the caster.

I believe it still comes down to whether the offensive spell, when targeted against its own caster, is considered an enemy spell. I would suggest that it is considered a friendly spell ( as it is cast from a friendly source still - the caster does not change according to whiplash) so countermagic is not effective.

This may be a question of "When you cast an offensive spell against your own models is it considered an enemy spell or friendly". This probably has been ruled on elsewhere.

Crate123
01-09-2014, 04:50 AM
This may be a question of "When you cast an offensive spell against your own models is it considered an enemy spell or friendly". This probably has been ruled on elsewhere.

If that is your question then that is simple, no it is not an enemy spell. Doesnt need a ruling since this is one of the fundamentals of the game. Enemy spells are spells cast by enemy models, thus not your own.