PDA

View Full Version : Fleeing and Back-strike bonus

Blailah
01-10-2014, 03:18 PM
I was in a game the other day with a more veteran player than I and a situation arose when a unit had to flee from a Terror check. The other player informed me that attacking a fleeing model gave you the back-strike bonus and because it was in my favor and he's been playing longer I didn't bother looking it up. Fast forward a few weeks, because I play Cryx and a good portion of what I play is undead and never flees I never really looked up the rules on it till today, when I bought a unit of living models. I couldn't find it in my mini rulebook stating that fleeing give a back-strike bonus but after reading rules for fleeing and advancing I can see how he came to the conclusion that it would give the back-strike bonus. I would like clarification please.

Fleeing states that you must run or full advance and forfeit action if you can't run. You can not advance in the direction of an enemy model. You may run/full advance 0" if you wish.

Advancing states that you must face the direction that you are advancing.

So the way I read it is:
Model A has terror and charges models Unit B.
Unit B fails the command check for Terror and is now Fleeing.
Model A fails to destroy charge target in Unit B.
Model A controller ends turn.
Unit B controller activates unit and runs 0".
Unit B must face away from enemy models because they did in fact advance (0" is still an advance) but can not advance toward an enemy model.
Unit B ends activation and passes command check to rally.
Unit B controller ends turn.
Model A activates and gets back-strike bonus on Unit B.

Mod_Neldar
01-10-2014, 03:21 PM
You don't have to move a fleeing model. Not even rotate them.

Your opponent was completely wrong.

solkan
01-10-2014, 03:54 PM
Unit B must face away from enemy models because they did in fact advance (0" is still an advance) but can not advance toward an enemy model.

A model can only move in the direction that it is facing, but that fact is irrelevant if the model does not physically move.
And a model that does not physically move (or a model that simply turns in place) satisfies the requirement to not advance toward an enemy model.

So this particular part of the conclusions is incorrect.
toward requires the distance to become smaller. A prohibition against advancing toward is only a prohibition against reducing the distance.

Towards is defined in the rulebook.

Blailah
01-10-2014, 03:54 PM
You don't have to move a fleeing model. Not even rotate them.

See that is where I feel the rules are blurry because you do in fact have to Advance and if you advance you can't do it facing an enemy model.

Stormpuppy_Infantry
01-10-2014, 04:12 PM
See that is where I feel the rules are blurry because you do in fact have to Advance and if you advance you can't do it facing an enemy model.

But you can still choose to don't move or move 0 inch and stay still. Answers above are correct. In MK2 fleeing models don't have to move or change facing.

Valander
01-10-2014, 05:20 PM
There is no inherent bonus for attacking a fleeing model.

If a model (fleeing or otherwise), moves out of an enemy model's melee range, it will suffer a free strike. If it does not move out of melee range, then no free strike.

A fleeing model must advance, but it can be a zero inch advance. This is actually there because otherwise there could be an unresolvable situation--since a fleeing model cannot advance towards an enemy model, yet is required to advance, if it could not choose to advance zero it would be impossible to resolve some board situations (such as if the model was surrounded).