PDA

View Full Version : AoE Spell Clarification

Mr Moo
01-13-2014, 08:44 AM
Hey folks,

This has come up in a couple of games now, but I'm reading the description of spells like pAspyxious' Breath of Corruption, and pSorcha's Tempest. These spells have an AoE, of course, but require you to make an attack against a specific target. A normal AoE weapon would hit the target (who would take full damage), and then the blast would be half POW against everyone caught in it. The wording for these spells however, says models (plural) hit suffer a POW 12. Does this mean that everyone in the AoE blast takes full damage?

Sorry if this was somewhere obvious and I missed it.

Thanks for the help!

yshsalas
01-13-2014, 08:48 AM
You are correct. if the spell has an aoe and a pow in the stat line, then the blast damage is halved. If the spell specifically says the pow of the damage, then all models hit by the spell take that damage roll.

Mr Moo
01-13-2014, 08:54 AM
Great! Thanks for the help.

Vorath
01-13-2014, 09:23 AM
In cases like these, our meta has always played that you would roll to hit against everybody involved since it's full pow taken, starting by declaring an initial target and starting the template there for the first attack. if it hits, template stays and you check every secondary target and roll to hit them. if you hit, they take the pow roll indicated, if not, it misses them.
deviation would happen if the initial target is missed, though if you miss and the deviation still has them in range they would not be attacked twice by the same spell as it already missed and it is deemed they the initial attack roll was based on it landing where it did and they were still in range (or were not in range at all and thus unaffected).

correct me if i'm wrong on any of this, please, it would be good to know if we only roll to hit once and then regardless everybody else is still taking full-pow secondary hits, and if preventing blast damage (like the ret mage guys, or cygnar trenchers for examples) would avoid taking this damage.

yshsalas
01-13-2014, 09:28 AM
Vorath, you're almost entirely incorrect.

You roll once to hit a target model just as with any other offensive spell. If it hit you center the aoe on that model, just like any other aoe spell. The model targeted is directly hit and all other are hit. For breath of corruption, all those models take the pow 12 damage roll. if the target was missed, then the aoe deviates as usual unless the spell says otherwise. the damage to addition models hit is not blast damage unless the spell says it is.

tl;dr these types of aoes are exactly like all the others.
Solkan spells it all out much better than i can in This thread from a few days ago (https://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?187039-Magic-attack-aoe-blast).

Stormpuppy_Infantry
01-13-2014, 10:02 AM
You are correct. if the spell has an aoe and a pow in the stat line, then the blast damage is halved. If the spell specifically says the pow of the damage, then all models hit by the spell take that damage roll.

And in this case the models hit are not suffer blast damage, so blast damage immune does not apply for such situation.

In cases like these, our meta has always played that you would roll to hit against everybody involved since it's full pow taken, starting by declaring an initial target and starting the template there for the first attack. if it hits, template stays and you check every secondary target and roll to hit them. if you hit, they take the pow roll indicated, if not, it misses them.
deviation would happen if the initial target is missed, though if you miss and the deviation still has them in range they would not be attacked twice by the same spell as it already missed and it is deemed they the initial attack roll was based on it landing where it did and they were still in range (or were not in range at all and thus unaffected).

correct me if i'm wrong on any of this, please, it would be good to know if we only roll to hit once and then regardless everybody else is still taking full-pow secondary hits, and if preventing blast damage (like the ret mage guys, or cygnar trenchers for examples) would avoid taking this damage.

No. Whatever it just put same damage or just give them blast damage, if the spell or weapon is AOE attack then you only roll to hit the target model. If the roll is missed then it is deviated because it is AOE attack, and models in AOE will suffer damage roll.

Spray is simillar, but not like this either.