PDA

View Full Version : Hand Measuring

TSpot
04-14-2010, 07:49 AM
Hey there,

There is a guy who moves his hand over the board with his thumb and pinky spread to help him judge distances. He obviously has measured how large his hand span is and I feel this is cheating. I dont have a ton of cash so I dont own my own copy of prime, could someone help me out with this?

Thanks
Tspot

DarkLegacy
04-14-2010, 07:53 AM
It is very unsportsmanlike to do so. Tell him to stop or he'll have a hard time playing games with anyone. Back this up by requesting to not play games if he does it again.

brotherscott
04-14-2010, 07:54 AM
I happen to know my hand is about 4" across the knuckles, but I don't use it to my advantage.

I would consider it pre-measuring, and during a tournament I would call a TO over. Casual/ friendly games, I would probably call him on it.

captainspud
04-14-2010, 07:58 AM
The rules have hard limits on what you can and can't measure, but they don't hammer down a specific description of what is and isn't "measuring". Measuring isn't restricted to using rulers and tape measures to find out a distance in Imperial inches-- knowing that Vilmon is two and a half hands away the Deathjack is still a measurement, and thus not permitted.

In short: Yes, he's cheating. Call a judge in a tournament setting, and refuse to play him in a casual setting.

lupusumbra
04-14-2010, 07:59 AM
I would call him on it. I have lost more games then i can count to "pre-measuring" and a decent play learns to be able to eye ball it, and should stop if you ask.

Aldarionn
04-14-2010, 08:32 AM
I honestly don't see the REASON for this. There are so many legal ways to get a rough measurement just by measuring your Control Area that pre-measuring with your hands seems asinine.

Call him on it and tell him to stop being a moron, and in tournaments, tell a judge about it beforehand so they know to keep an eye on him. He'll probably learn quickly enough if he gets DQed for cheating.

Mod_Faultie
04-14-2010, 08:33 AM
The rules have hard limits on what you can and can't measure, but they don't hammer down a specific description of what is and isn't "measuring". Measuring isn't restricted to using rulers and tape measures to find out a distance in Imperial inches-- knowing that Vilmon is two and a half hands away the Deathjack is still a measurement, and thus not permitted.

In short: Yes, he's cheating. Call a judge in a tournament setting, and refuse to play him in a casual setting.

I agree 100%.

Ravir
04-14-2010, 08:35 AM
Just to clarify, he's cheating AND being a jerk about it.

DemonCalibre
04-14-2010, 08:38 AM
I would call it cheating.

It would be like me using a stick with a hash mark every inch to help me guess a measurement.

Any method to measure, with a tool of any kind that isn't allowed for by the rules isn't. If you do some Math in your head to work out a distance sure, but nothing that requires or uses a tool.

petegrrrr
04-14-2010, 08:45 AM
Simple solution.

Before your next game, say "Hey, how wide do you think your hand is?"

when he says "I don't know...about 4 inches or so?"...you say "Okay, so now that we now the rough measurement, if you put it on the board like that your are premeasuring which is illegal".

If he says "I have no clue", pull out your tape measurer and measure it. Tell him the answer, and repeat the "Okay, so now that we know the measurement..."

blue loki
04-14-2010, 09:50 AM
Measuring is measuring, it doesn't matter what you use to perform it.

khaohs
04-14-2010, 09:57 AM
What he should do is measure the caster's control range. Then eye-ball it from there.