PDA

View Full Version : Question about stealth vs. auto-hit

deftblade13
04-14-2010, 09:50 AM
Basically if one model has stealth and the model attacking it has an automatic hit weapon or ability, who's rule would win? Stealth (auto miss) or the auto-hit?

Polar_Bear
04-14-2010, 09:51 AM
Auto-hit trumps Auto-miss.

PB

bakaryu
04-14-2010, 09:53 AM
There are relatively few auto hitting ranged attacks, one of the few that I can think of being sustained attack from the Thunderhead after an electrical pulse.

DonJean
04-14-2010, 11:16 PM
Actually in this case Auto hit would still miss

To expans
1. Auto miss on stealth means the Shooter is more than 5" away
2. Auto Hit triggers only on legal conditions
3. Shooting from more than 5" away you miss shooting from closer than 5" you hit and auto miss doesn't feature.

For other Auto miss effects just remember you still have to qualify for a legal attack before the Auto hit becomes and option. Otherwise you could just shoot at targets out of range and still auto hit.

ResurrectioN
04-14-2010, 11:25 PM
To backup Polar Bear:

If one rule causes an attack to hit automatically and one
causes it to miss automatically, the automatic hit takes
precedence over the automatic miss. For instance, an effect
that allows attacks to hit automatically would override
special rules such as Stealth that would otherwise cause an
attack to miss automatically.

There are relatively few auto hitting ranged attacks, one of the few that I can think of being sustained attack from the Thunderhead after an electrical pulse.

Electircal puse is also auto-hitting.
And never forget Bile thrall purge.

Tarzen
04-15-2010, 12:05 AM

To expans
1. Auto miss on stealth means the Shooter is more than 5" away
2. Auto Hit triggers only on legal conditions
3. Shooting from more than 5" away you miss shooting from closer than 5" you hit and auto miss doesn't feature.

For other Auto miss effects just remember you still have to qualify for a legal attack before the Auto hit becomes and option. Otherwise you could just shoot at targets out of range and still auto hit.

Sorry Don, but as pointed out several times already, Auto hit trumps Auto miss.

So electro pulse at stealthed models that are 6 inches away would still auto hit them. Now, after the Pulse is done, if you choose a target to buy an additional attack against, that too would auto hit because of sustained attack. After that, if you chose to buy an additional attack against a new target outside of the 5" range that had stealth, it would indeed auto miss since there is no longer an auto hit effect in place.

Mind you, as mentioned, there are precious few auto hitting ranged attacks, but I had this exact thing happen this week with bane thralls being shot by t-heads pulse.

kc7sbp
04-15-2010, 12:18 AM
pg 61 of the MKII Prime book specifically lists stealth as an example of auto hit vs. auto miss. Auto hit takes precedence.

FerrusManus
04-15-2010, 12:39 AM
However even auto-hitting attacks will miss if they are out of range.

vintersbastard
04-15-2010, 02:02 AM

This is what you're confusing. Stealth doesn't change the range of the attack, it only forces an automatic miss.

jandrese
04-15-2010, 06:31 AM
One thing I've seen a whole lot of confusion about suddenly in Mk II, which doesn't make sense because it's unchanged, is the Stealth rule. Stealth in no way prevents targeting of the model nor does it make the model immune to damage, it simply states that a ranged or magic attack from more than 5" away automatically misses.

Also, just because an attack auto-misses doesn't mean that it can't be damaged by the attack. For instance, a blast template that deviates off of a stealthed model can still damage it.

I just wanted to clear this up because I've been suddenly and mysteriously getting a lot of confusion at the tables locally about how stealth actually works.

Tarzen
04-15-2010, 06:39 AM
Oh, and along jandrese's side note, blast that scatter and land centered on a model are still considered misses for the purposes of direct hits. Something that seems to be a little odd at first thought.

Macallan
04-15-2010, 07:02 AM
Question fully answered in post #2.

Please do not expand the scope of a rule question.