PDA

View Full Version : Engaging Arc Node

Tevesh
04-14-2010, 12:03 PM
This came up in a recent Old Witch game, hence my unfamiliarity with this ruling. An Arc Node that engages can still Arc spells, but an Arc Node that is engaged cannot Arc spells. I searched for an earlier ruling but nothing came up.

I looked in the Mark II PDF and found that this is the case. I simply want to make sure. An Arc Node that is engaging a model but is not engaged can Arc Spells?

For reference, definition of engaging as "model within LOS and melee range" (p.49 Mark II PDF). Channeling is stated as "A channeler engaged by an enemy model cannot channel spells" (p.77 Mark II PDF).

blue loki
04-14-2010, 12:08 PM
You are correct.

Creid
04-14-2010, 12:09 PM
Correct. If you had, for example, an arc node with Reach that was engaging a model that did not have Reach, it could still arc spells, because it is not itself engaged.

Farnsworth
04-14-2010, 12:19 PM
Correct as mentioned by others, but I think the specific ruling is in the Channeling section, and states that an engaged channeler cannot channel spells. So the issue becomes the definition of engaged, and I believe that MKII is pretty clear on that point.

tuttleboy
04-14-2010, 02:16 PM
Important note: If the spell is channeled at the model the channeler is engaging it will still suffer the model in melee penalty.

Oniwasabi
04-14-2010, 02:45 PM
Important note: If the spell is channeled at the model the channeler is engaging it will still suffer the model in melee penalty.

No, it doesn't.

Page 64 of Prime II under the heading Point of Origin

"...Ignore the target in melee attack roll penalty when the point of origin of the magic attack is in melee with the models against which the attack roll is being made."