PDA

View Full Version : Assault Star Attacks

aeGolem
02-06-2014, 10:12 AM
I had a question that I'm going to post as a hypothetical in case it infringes on any spoiled but not released models rules clauses.

If a warjack with a star attack on its ranged weapon like Thunderhead were to gain assault could it use the star attack on the assault shot?

There don't seem to be any stipulations on assault shots that say they need to be normal attacks or anything.

Thank you.

Stormpuppy_Infantry
02-06-2014, 10:14 AM
No. Assault only enable normal ranged attack, and if you want to do Special attack then you must choose to do instead of initial attack, or another ability that enables to do.

GunMageinTraining
02-06-2014, 10:22 AM
No. Assault only enable normal ranged attack, and if you want to do Special attack then you must choose to do instead of initial attack, or another ability that enables to do.

I think they may well be different rule issues. You can make *attacks on the charge, you just give up any additional initial attacks. Assault lets you make a ranged attack on the charge, and there's nothing that I know of that says it can't be a *attack. Even if you then have to give up his initial charge attack and any other additional initials, that's fine.

There may be an issue though considering that you are supposed to target the charged target with the ranged attack and at least Thunderhead's Pulse doesn't target in the same way.

SageofLodoss
02-06-2014, 10:26 AM
Assault does not say normal ranged attack.

The potential problem is that Assault says make a ranged attack targetting the model you charged, but Pulse does not have or require a target. Not sure if that invalidates it or overrules the Assault wording.

Baptism By Ice
02-06-2014, 10:29 AM

Incorrect. To quote the assault rule:

Affected models must charge or run. As part of a charge, after moving but before making its charge attack, an affected model can make one ranged attack targeting the model charged unless they were in melee with each other at the start of the affected model's activation. Models that received this order cannot make combined ranged attacks this activation. When resolving an Assault ranged attack, the attacking mdoel does not suffer the target in melee penalty. If the target is not in melee range after moving, the affected model must still make the ranged attack before its activation ends.

Nowhere in that rule does it state that the ranged attack must be a "normal" ranged attack.

JPGREAT1
02-06-2014, 10:30 AM
Alright Infernals... you make the final decision!

Were you at?!

Don't make me start refering to Stryker3 as Stryk3r... I know one of you penguin loving infernals hate that!

Leonard_Dukes
02-06-2014, 10:30 AM
You cannot make a Special Attack as part of an Assault attack:

And in addition to the additionally, special attacks can only be made during a model's combat action. The ranged attack from Assault happens before the model's combat action.

Stormpuppy_Infantry
02-06-2014, 10:36 AM
Yeah, I notice there is not normal.

Rynth
02-06-2014, 10:46 AM
https://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?32457-Cygnar-Trencher-Assault-Rules-Question&p=478113&viewfull=1#post478113 (Last paragraph)

* Attacks replace initial attacks.
Assault allows a ranged attack before you get to the combat action portion of a model's activation.
Charge requires you to use your Combat Action in a specific way.

So my read is:
Because you cannot use you initials to initiate a *Attack(both because you not there yet in the model's activation sequence and charging has locked you into a certain course of action) you cannot * Attack on an Assault.

Valander
02-06-2014, 11:18 AM
You cannot make a Special Attack as part of an Assault attack:
Correct, per the quote Leonard included.