PDA

View Full Version : Assaulting Stormwall and Lightning Pods

rwould
02-07-2014, 05:24 AM
Given Stryker 3 and his field marshall rule this raises the possibility of Assault on the Stormwall.

Looking at Assault it states that your shot is made "after moving but before making its charge attack" and that
"the affected model must still make the ranged attack before its activation ends"

So this would certainly imply that you do 'something' after the movement ends.

The Lightning Pod is launched "after its normal movement, this model can place....."

I cannot see anything therefore forbidding launching the pod after movement. Whether it could be done after the Assault shot though is probably more dubious as the activation would immediately end at that point?

yshsalas
02-07-2014, 05:30 AM
Even with assault, a model's activation ends immediately after a failed charge. It has been ruled with numerous anytime abilities that nothing apart from the assault shot happens at the end of an assault charge. On a successful assault charge, the storm pod could be placed after the assault shot and before making the charge attack.

rwould
02-07-2014, 05:45 AM
I would be interested in a specific ruling as this is an effect that specifically takes place after moving, as does the assault shot under the rules for Assault. It may get ruled against but it then should be quite clear that it is against what the wording of the rules are. To be fair, I would agree it should not work!

Leonard_Dukes
02-07-2014, 06:43 AM
Note, though, that you could not deploy the Pods after a run or a failed charge, as in those cases activation ends immediately after movement.

The fact that the Assault attack is an exception to the "failed charge ends activation immediately" does not extend that exception to other abilities.

Rynth
02-07-2014, 06:50 AM
https://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?62344-Failed-charge-assault-and-casting-spells&p=853561&viewfull=1#post853561

If Irusk cannot cast spells, an anytime ability, between assault move and assault shot then I doubt Stormwall could drop a stormpod in that same time window

rwould
02-07-2014, 06:50 AM
The fact that the Assault attack is an exception to the "failed charge ends activation immediately" does not extend that exception to other abilities.
From a rules basis, why? The Assault rule specifically states that 'something' occurs is after moving. As I said, I have no issue with it being interpreted that way as I would be inclined to think it makes the most sense but it is quite clearly not what the rules state, and in this specific example it is the occurence of an event that is triggered 'after moving' in both circumstances.

Leonard_Dukes
02-07-2014, 07:00 AM
From a rules basis, why? The Assault rule specifically states that 'something' occurs is after moving. As I said, I have no issue with it being interpreted that way as I would be inclined to think it makes the most sense but it is quite clearly not what the rules state, and in this specific example it is the occurence of an event that is triggered 'after moving' in both circumstances.

The Assault rule is what allows you to make the ranged attack during Assault. I know that sounds circular, but without that wording (or a lot of other special rules) you would be unable to make the ranged attack, either because a successful charge requires your first attack to be melee or because a failed charge ends your activation immediately.

The Assault rule does not make an allowance or exception for any other actions/attacks/movements to be made. It does exactly what it says it does, and not a single thing more.

[Edited to add:]

"the affected model must still make the ranged attack before its activation ends"

It is this clause that handles what to do if an Assault results in the charging model still not getting into melee range with its target. This clause is necessary because without it, a failed charge ends your activation immediately. Full stop.

Because there is no other wording allowing for other actions to be made, this is the only thing you are allowed to do at the end of a failed charge. No spell casting, no animus, no "at any time" abilities, and no "after normal movement abilities".