PDA

View Full Version : Non-warjack/warbeast models and identical weapons listed separately vs 2x or 3x

Leonard_Dukes
02-10-2014, 10:56 AM
[Edit]
Never mind, I just realized I was wrong about battle engines and field of fire. Ignore/lock/delete this thread. Everything I knew is a lie.

So, I was explaining the usage of multiple identical weapons being identified as "2x" on models such as a solo or warlock (such as Incubi or Absylonia), versus being listed separately as they are on warjacks and warbeasts (such as Carnivean).

I was going to give some examples, and I realized that a few models didn't match my expectations. Specifically:

The Throne of Everblight is a battle engine, technically a type of solo, and its three identical weapons are listed separately. It cannot be "weapon locked" as it is not a warbeast, nor do the weapons have a location (head/left/right/etc) assigned to them. Additionally, Battle Engines are not restricted by fields of fire (as Gargantuans are) so a listed location would seem to be irrelevant.

Then I looked at Lylyth, Reckoning of Everblight (Lylyth3) and noticed that her Scything Blades are listed separately, and have a location assigned (Left and Right, respectively).

So, this got me wondering: Is there any (current) significance to a battle engine having its weapons listed separately instead of in "2x" or "3x" style, and likewise, does it matter whether they are designated as "R" or "L" for attacking purposes?

Vorath
02-10-2014, 11:01 AM
R and L only matter in terms of arc for jacks/colossals as far as i understand it. crippling a right arm or left arm system will impact that weapon, and having them labeled R/L separately on the card can help to remember that when you are doing your attacks and such. Solo's/BEs don't have that limitation, so it should not matter, however with the throne it seems weird to specify 3x on a weapon, but 2x makes sense to people (you have 2 arms, your brain natively can think of a model with 2 arms having 2 attacks).
As for lyl3, i cannot say, but it may have to do with the huge base and not using the left blade to attack people on the right side (logistically) making sense. Either that or PP tried to compensate for her lack of volume on her spell card by loading up her weapon card. :p

Leonard_Dukes
02-10-2014, 11:04 AM
Turns out Battle Engines do have a field of fire restriction, Vorath. That's what I get for only playing with models that have 360° Vision.

Lylyth3 is a Battle Engine, so it obviously makes sense for her. With the Throne, none of its weapons are tied to a field of fire (on account of its tentacly nature). Why they are still listed separately eludes me, but probably has something to do with a standard template used for Battle Engine cards, or some such.

At any rate, consider my question answered, scarcely after it was asked.

Mod_Redphantasm
02-10-2014, 11:56 AM
The throne has its tentacles listed separately to follow the convention for battle engines, which have their weapons in one (or no) arc and thus need designation as warjacks/beasts do.