PDA

View Full Version : Is Back Blast magical damage?

urion
04-15-2010, 10:02 AM
When you use Madhammer's melee ability to creat a 3" AOE on a hit target is the damage magical?

captainspud
04-15-2010, 10:12 AM
...why would you think that it is? Only three things make something magical damage:

The result of a magic attack (either a spell, or a Magic Ability attack)
A weapon with the sparkly sword icon
Something explicitly saying it's magic damage (like Explosivo)

Back Blast has none of those.

rydiafan
04-15-2010, 12:06 PM
...why would you think that it is?

Back Blast is originating from Leveler, which has :Magic-Wpn:

absent
04-15-2010, 04:46 PM
I'd assume it's magical damage, just like primed explosions have a magical source so are magical damage.

captainspud
04-15-2010, 05:10 PM
I'd assume it's magical damage, just like primed explosions have a magical source so are magical damage.
Not the same thing. Primed explosions are a damage effect specifically created by a spell. Without the spell, there are no explosions.

Back Blast would still happen if Leveller was nonmagical. It's a property of the weapon, not the weapon's "magicness".

All that said: I forgot when I posted above that Leveller is magical. My leaning is still that it's not a magical blast, but I'm not actually sure on the ruling given that info.

absent
04-15-2010, 09:43 PM
Back Blast would still happen if Leveller was nonmagical.

We don't know that, you are judging intent not RAW, the damage comes from a weapon with :Magic-Wpn: and thats all we know.

captainspud
04-16-2010, 03:09 AM
We don't know that, you are judging intent not RAW, the damage comes from a weapon with :Magic-Wpn: and thats all we know.
Yes, we do know that. I'm not talking from a fluff PoV, but rather a rules one. If Leveller didn't have the sparkly sword, the Back Blast ability would still work. The hammer happens to have the sparkles, and it happens to also have Back Blast. Neither ability is dependant on the other. Whereas in the Primed example, the explosions are SPECIFICALLY spelled out in the spell description. The spell is the source of the explosions, so those ones ARE magical.

As I said, I'm not sure one way or another at this point, but the Primed comparison is flawed and doesn't count as evidence for one side or the other.

Rynth
04-16-2010, 05:06 AM
Looking at a previous ruling as precedent(Eruption of Ash vs Incorporeal) I'd say Back Blast is not magical damage.

http://www.privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?t=16875

absent
04-16-2010, 08:43 AM
Good relevent link rynth, though it seems silly that damage with a magical source wouldn't be magic in nature =) If thems the rules, thats how i'll play it.

Cannibalbob
04-17-2010, 05:20 PM
Good relevent link rynth, though it seems silly that damage with a magical source wouldn't be magic in nature =) If thems the rules, thats how i'll play it.

That would seem silly, but thats how explosivo works - since it is a spell that causes a ranged weapon to gain magic attack and an AoE - and yet according to all the rulings on the spell the blast damage from the AoE is not magical itself.

This could be ruled either way really.

Malekhant
04-17-2010, 07:25 PM
I would believe that the attack is magical damage but the blast is not.

Valander
10-18-2013, 01:21 PM
The damage from the AOE placed from Back Blast is not magical damage.