PDA

View Full Version : Measuring Geometry

Bieltan
02-12-2014, 08:54 AM
Quick clarification on measuring within your own control area. I recently went to templecon and played against a PG who showed me (according to him) a measurement technique involving measuring your control area and if 2 models are within your control area you can measure the distance between the two models.

Example: Caster has 12 inch control area. Check control area over top model A and model B. You then measure directly to model A, then measure directly to model B, thus allowing you to measure the distance between the two models. (All of this information of course available to your opponent)

This goes against what I've been understanding for a long time so I thought I'd check here. The forum had similar measurement clarifications but nothing that described using geometry within your control area to find exact measurements.

So, is this legal? If you can cite where you get your answer that would be great as well. Thanks!

Leonard_Dukes
02-12-2014, 09:01 AM
You may measure from your Warcaster's base to any point within your Warcaster's control area at any time, for any reason. If you do so, you must share any measurement you make with your opponent at his request.

There is no rule against computing in your head hypotenuses, angles, cosines, tangents, or third order derivatives. You are not required to share these results with your opponent, but any calculus/trigonometry should be done in your own time clock.

Falkman
02-12-2014, 09:01 AM
Check control area over top model A and model B.
Not sure what exactly you mean by this point, but there is nothing in the game that stops you from measuring to several different points in your CTRL area and then doing some math in your head.

Grey Templar
02-12-2014, 09:11 AM
If you want to carry around a scientific calculator feel free to do some calculations on your own clock.

Valander
02-12-2014, 09:33 AM
You may measure from your Warcaster's base to any point within your Warcaster's control area at any time, for any reason. If you do so, you must share any measurement you make with your opponent at his request.

There is no rule against computing in your head hypotenuses, angles, cosines, tangents, or third order derivatives. You are not required to share these results with your opponent, but any calculus/trigonometry should be done in your own time clock.
This is pretty much correct. If you're great at math, have at it, but don't expect your opponent to give you extra time to complete your test, nor can you unequivocally state it's always correct.