PDA

View Full Version : Do you have to roll for automatic hits?

chosen40k
03-16-2014, 06:43 PM
So I'm confused about automatic hits. Some say you still have to roll and if you roll double 1's it's a miss while others say you don' have to roll since you hit automatically. Which one is it?

Or is there a different between "automatic hits" and let's say hitting a DEF 5 target with a MAT 10 attack? Would I still need to roll in that case?

juckto
03-16-2014, 06:48 PM
No. If your attack would automatically hit then you don't have to roll. But you can choose to roll, and if you fail then you have to abide by the result. This is detailed in the rulebook, although I forget where.
(Why would you ever choose to roll? Because sometimes you can trigger a critical effect on the hit roll.)

If you choose to roll, then you have to use regular MAT vs regular DEF.
Although, in most cases, targets that are "auto-hit" have also had their DEF reduced to a really crappy 5, so you're looking at 'anything but double-1s' anyway.

hitting a DEF 5 target with a MAT 10 attack? Would I still need to roll in that case?
Yes.

chosen40k
03-16-2014, 07:21 PM
Ahh I see so if I pop eKreoss' feat for instance, I don't need to roll, but if someone had a really low DEF I still NEED to roll even though that a double 1s would numerically surpass their DEF?

StraTosSpeAr
03-16-2014, 07:31 PM
Ahh I see so if I pop eKreoss' feat for instance, I don't need to roll, but if someone had a really low DEF I still NEED to roll even though that a double 1s would numerically surpass their DEF?

Yes, because if you roll snake eyes, you still miss, regardless of the attacking and defending stats.

yshsalas
03-16-2014, 07:34 PM
Yes, as double 1's always misses no matter what. Also, things like the Crusader's mace have critical effects :Crit-Fire:. On Kreoss 2's feat turn, the crusader's melee attacks automatically hit, but never cause Fire :Cont-Fire:. If you want to cause the critical effect, you can choose not to automatically hit, and roll normally.

FoolishMonkey
03-16-2014, 07:44 PM
Thanks for the answers, I was having this discussion with a friend.