PDA

View Full Version : Run Charge order question

DarthWinrod
03-18-2014, 11:24 AM
I am still new to Warmachine so sorry about the simple questions.

If you give a run charge order to a unit can some of the unit charge, some just move up and melee (less than 3inches) and some stay back and use ranged weapons?

Same scenario but no run/charge order. Can some move up and melee and some use ranged attacks?

Thanks for the time.

dungeongod
03-18-2014, 11:29 AM
If a model in a unit receives a charge order, it must run or charge. You can charge less than 3" - for instance, if you are already engaging something, you can "charge" it - but if you move less than 3", you do not get the charge bonus on the damage roll, nor is it a charge attack.

When there is no order given, while the unit acts as a whole, the individual models can do different things. So if a unit has melee weapons and ranged weapons (i.e. Mage Hunter Strike Force) some can move forward and attack in melee (or attack because they are already in melee), some can move and shoot, and others can forfeit their movement to aim and then shoot. Without the order, individual models can take a normal advance and an action, or sacrifice their action or advance, as normal.

TheUnknownMercenary
03-18-2014, 11:32 AM
There are two basic orders that all unit leaders/commanders can give, Run or Charge.

If the Run order is given the all models in the unit must run.

If the Charge order is given all models in the unit must run or charge, they cannot do anything else, like not move (as in non-run or non-charge move) and/or make ranged attacks. (barring any abilities like Assault)

If the unit does not receive an order, each model in the unit can do whatever it wants to except for running or charging since it needs to be ordered to do those two things.

DarthWinrod
03-18-2014, 11:43 AM
So, If the run charge order is given. A model in the unit could not use ranged attacks as an option if I am reading this correctly.

Also a model could not walk forward 2in, to the left 2in and then 1in forward to engage a melee target. It would have to follow the charge order and do straight line options?

dungeongod
03-18-2014, 11:46 AM
So, If the run charge order is given. A model in the unit could not use ranged attacks as an option if I am reading this correctly.

Also a model could not walk forward 2in, to the left 2in and then 1in forward to engage a melee target. It would have to follow the charge order and do straight line options?

Correct. And while in many local places it is common to say "run/charge order" - technically they are different orders within the rules.

DarthWinrod
03-18-2014, 11:56 AM
If no order is given can some guys still run in place of taking their action for the turn?

Mod_Neldar
03-18-2014, 12:00 PM
No. That requires a Run order. It would force all models to run.

midas
03-18-2014, 12:04 PM
P 46 Prime "A trooper must receive a run or charge order to run during its normal movement, or it must be compelled to run as a result of a game effect (e.g fleeing or out of formation)"
so, no, he could NOT run, unless compelled to.

DarthWinrod
03-18-2014, 12:09 PM
Thanks for clearing all those up. That makes a huge difference in how I have seen a few people operate.

tuttleboy
03-18-2014, 12:29 PM

This is possible with a charge order, but the model must choose to run and won't get to make an attack.