PDA

View Full Version : Throw, deviation, and knockdown

ScottMcd
03-20-2014, 09:46 AM
If a model throws another along a legal path (away from) but the deviation would cause the thrown models base to cross the has of the model performing the throw, would the thrown model stop in base to base contact and, assuming same base size, both models be knocked down and take damage?

StraTosSpeAr
03-20-2014, 09:53 AM
If a model throws another along a legal path (away from) but the deviation would cause the thrown models base to cross the has of the model performing the throw, would the thrown model stop in base to base contact and, assuming same base size, both models be knocked down and take damage?

I can't think of a scenario where a model being thrown can deviate back onto the model that performs the throw. Remember, models can only deviate half the distance that they are thrown, and I'm pretty sure that even the weakest 'jacks/'beasts (Cryx ones come to mind) can throw at least five inches, so you shouldn't be able to deviate onto yourself.

Grey Templar
03-20-2014, 09:57 AM
You can if you throw in a parallel line across the front of your base. Colossals can also do it quite easily, not that it would effect them.

SageofLodoss
03-20-2014, 09:57 AM
I can't think of a scenario where a model being thrown can deviate back onto the model that performs the throw. Remember, models can only deviate half the distance that they are thrown, and I'm pretty sure that even the weakest 'jacks/'beasts (Cryx ones come to mind) can throw at least five inches, so you shouldn't be able to deviate onto yourself.

If your chosen thrown direction is lateral to the right or left, it is possible for the deviation direction to move in the direction behind the thrower, ever so slightly. Once the deviation is determined, the model is then moved towards that spot and can clip the model that threw it IIRC. It's a very small clip but can happen, and does result in both thrower and thrown model humorously tripping over one another.

Throwing to the side is I believe the only chance of this happening.

ScottMcd
03-20-2014, 10:17 AM

The throw only has to be away, so assuming base to base, you could throw to 90 degrees. Str 12 means a throw of 6 inches. You have a 1/3 chance on deviation for the throw line to cross your own base. I wish I could make a diagram, but posting on the phone.

MaGoff
03-20-2014, 10:22 AM
This has been asked and answered before. Take a look at this diagram (and the Infernal rulings)

https://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?7084-Throwing-behind&p=122284&viewfull=1#post122284

Short answer is, yes the attacker can get knocked down by his own throw.

Leonard_Dukes
03-20-2014, 10:25 AM
It's entirely possible, even with a non-huge base. See useful diagram here: https://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?71605-Throwing-and-the-deviation-whacks-your-own-base&p=982938&viewfull=1#post982938

ScottMcd
03-20-2014, 01:01 PM
Thanks!
10 characters