PDA

View Full Version : Strafe/Autofire vs. Elusive

Chest Rockslam
03-26-2014, 01:45 PM
I did some searching and didn't really find an answer.

If a strafing/autofire attack misses an Evasive model twice would the Evasive model move 4 inches or 2 inches?

Evasive
"This model can't be targeted by freestrikes. This model can advance up to 2" immediately after an enemy ranged attack that missed it is resolved unless it was missed while advancing."

The way Evasive is worded it seems it would only get the 2 inch move since same next effects don't stack and the attack isn't resolved until the last attack is rolled. At least I think that's correct.

Anyone confirm this?

SageofLodoss
03-26-2014, 02:13 PM
I did some searching and didn't really find an answer.

If a strafing/autofire attack misses an Elusive model twice would the Elusive model move 4 inches or 2 inches?

Elusive
"This model can't be targeted by freestrikes. This model can advance up to 2" immediately after an enemy ranged attack that missed it is resolved unless it was missed while advancing."

The way Elusive is worded it seems it would only get the 2 inch move since same next effects don't stack and the attack isn't resolved until the last attack is rolled. At least I think that's correct.

Anyone confirm this?

The Rule is Evasive I think.

And with my current understanding of Strafes, I believe that while each attack is declared and rolled separate, their results have a single instance of resolution. Evasive might 'conceptually' trigger twice from both misses, but would not actually happen twice because you'd get only one attack resolution step with which to use Evasive, and the rules wouldn't let you 'stack' two Evasives and perform them back to back.

That's my thought on the matter at least.

silluen
03-26-2014, 04:48 PM
https://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?81095-Quick-Strafe-clarification&p=1097258&viewfull=1#post1097258

Simultaneous attacks actually follow this order:

Declare attack A, roll to hit, roll damage for attack A.
Declare attack B, roll to hit, roll damage for attack B.
Apply damage for all attacks, resolve triggers.
Attack A resolved.
Attack B resolved.

I think it's 4 inches movement total.
Let's assume a Sentinel which has Strafe[d6] rolls 3 for how many shots it gets.

o Shot 1 : Target A - fail to hit
o Shot 2 : Target A - fail to hit
o Shot 3 : Target A - hit - roll to damage

If "A" is destroyed because of the damage caused by Shot 3, no Evasive movement.
But if "A" Survives, here is the steps.

o Apply all damage : damage for Shot 3 resolved
o Resolve trigger for Shot 1 : missed - Evasive
o Resolve trigger for Shot 2 : missed - Evasive
o Resolve trigger for Shot 3 : no trigger (if there is any other effects, resolve it)

Evasive is not a special rule a model gains when it is missed by an enemy ranged attack. So making multiple Evasive movement is nothing like 'stacking' as SageofLodoss mentioned. If Evasive special rule is given to a specific model whenever the model is missed by an enemy ranged attack it can make 2" movement.

solkan
03-26-2014, 08:24 PM
Compare Flashing Blades and Beat Back. Or Beat Back and Thresher. Or Berserk and Thresher.

An infinite number of simultaneous misses should trigger the ability once. Because it ends up with an infinite number of triggers of Elusive that don't stack with each other.

Otherwise you have to start moving the model between attacks granted by Strafe.

silluen
03-26-2014, 08:49 PM
Compare Flashing Blades and Beat Back. Or Beat Back and Thresher. Or Berserk and Thresher.

An infinite number of simultaneous misses should trigger the ability once. Because it ends up with an infinite number of triggers of Elusive that don't stack with each other.

Otherwise you have to start moving the model between attacks granted by Strafe.

No. What you mentioned are totally different from Evasive. Beat back only applies to normal attacks so Thresher which is a special attack cannot trigger Beat back. And Berserk says it comes in effect when a model destroys one or more models with A MELEE ATTACK. So combination those with Thresher has no problem and is irrelevant to this topic.

Flashing blade is a spell that makes a model can make multiple normal attacks so that can be a problem. If you know about a model which can cast the spell and has Beat back with it tell me about it. I'll look into it when the problem becomes real.

And look at the order that Valander told before. It says resolve each trigger of each attack separately. In addition it also says apply simultaneous damage first and resolve all the triggers later. So I think there is no problem making multiple evasive movements against Strafe or Autofire attacks.