PDA

View Full Version : Force Barrier versus Magical Blast Damage

misomiso
04-01-2014, 02:03 AM
If force barrier is being used (eg by Satyxis Raiders), does this protect from magical balst damage as well?

Eg 1 Aiyanna and Holts Magical attack bonus on a blast damage gun?
Eg 2 pIrusk Airburst?

Im guessing it does I just want clarification.
Thx

Stormpuppy_Infantry
04-01-2014, 02:12 AM
Magical Weapon quality does not change the attack's type and it is diffrent with Magic Attack. If the weapon is ranged weapon, it is still make ranged attack whatever it have Magical Weapon or not.

Also Force Barrier just gives immune to blast damage, not immune to ranged blast damage(it is seperated with +2 DEF against ranged attack). so they does not suffer any blast damage for both of your example.

midas
04-05-2014, 09:35 AM
Stormpuppy is incorrect unfortunately, there is no such thing as ranged blast damage or magical blast damage (at least none that I am aware of atm), only blast damage. Force barrier states that models do not suffer blast damage.
Ayana's Kiss of Lyliss confers +2 DMG to ANY damage roll made on the target. If it is blast damage and the victim has force barrier, it would suffer no damage at all, because there is no roll involved.
Ayana's Luryunsar's Touch confers "Magic Weapon" on the target friendly. Magic weapon is an ability listed on p.68 of WMPrime, it says nowhere (neither on the card) that it is hindered by Force Barrier.
Irusks Spell Airburst specifically says it causes blast damage and thus would be blocked by Force Barrier, except on the model directly hit.

Stormpuppy_Infantry
04-05-2014, 09:51 AM
Stormpuppy is incorrect unfortunately, there is no such thing as ranged blast damage or magical blast damage (at least none that I am aware of atm), only blast damage. Force barrier states that models do not suffer blast damage.
Ayana's Kiss of Lyliss confers +2 DMG to ANY damage roll made on the target. If it is blast damage and the victim has force barrier, it would suffer no damage at all, because there is no roll involved.
Ayana's Luryunsar's Touch confers "Magic Weapon" on the target friendly. Magic weapon is an ability listed on p.68 of WMPrime, it says nowhere (neither on the card) that it bypasses Force Barrier.
Irusks Spell Airburst specifically says it causes blast damage and thus would be blocked by Force Barrier, except on the model directly hit.

No, I am correct. If the origin of blast damage is ranged attack, then the blast damage is part of ranged attack and is considered ranged damage roll. If the origin of blast damage is magic attack, then the blast damage is part of magic attack and is considered magic damage roll. Blast damge itself is not the seperated attack type and is bound to the weapon/spell's attack type.

For example, Deceleration spell gives +2 DEF and ARM against ranged attacks, so models affected by Deceleration gain +2 ARM against blast damage roll of ranged attack, but not gain ARM against blast damage roll of magic, or melee attack.

Also I already mentioned that Force Barrier gives immune to blast damage, means that it is immune to blast damage regardless the type of attack. I said that because OP was confused with both 'Magic(type of attack)/Magical(weapon's quality)', and 'Force Barrier give immune to blast damage or immune to 'ranged' blast damage.' I think that OP want to say Lurynsar's Touch(which gives Magical Weapon quality), not Kiss of Lyliss at Eg1, because OP mentioned 'magical.'

midas
04-05-2014, 10:07 AM
I meant hindered and wrote bypasses, sorry.
You noticed it before I finished my edit, yet you are wrong on the roll. An attack roll is completely different from a damage roll. Also the rules do not mention ranged blast or magical blast damage, so better not use these terms. It's a mute point anyway, since force barrier blocks blast damage regardless of the source.

Stormpuppy_Infantry
04-05-2014, 10:16 AM
You noticed it before I finished my edit, yet you are wrong on the roll. An attack roll is completely different from a damage roll. Also the rules do not mention ranged blast or magical blast damage, so better not use these terms. It's a mute point anyway, since force barrier blocks blast damage regardless of the source.

If force barrier is being used (eg by Satyxis Raiders), does this protect from magical balst damage as well?

Eg 1 Aiyanna and Holts Magical attack bonus on a blast damage gun?
Eg 2 pIrusk Airburst?

Im guessing it does I just want clarification.
Thx

('balst' seems that typo of 'blast.')

Then you should talk with him before me. :(

Grey Templar
04-05-2014, 08:51 PM
They wouldn't gain the +2Def against the spell, but they would be immune to the Blast damage. Only the guy directly hit would be able to be killed by an AOE spell.

Wild
04-05-2014, 11:45 PM
Except in the case of Airburst, as all the models hit suffer a Blast damage roll, so it is effectively a worthless spell against someone with Force Barrier.

The Captain
04-06-2014, 06:43 AM
Blast damage still retains the original damage type as well. For example, Holy Zealots under Greater Destiny still suffer blast damage from spells. Dartan Vilmon in Impervious Wall will not suffer blast damage from a non-magical ranged attack.

So "ranged blast damage" and "magic blast damage" are useful expressions in some cases, even though in this particular example they are moot.

Grey Templar
04-06-2014, 07:43 AM
Except in the case of Airburst, as all the models hit suffer a Blast damage roll, so it is effectively a worthless spell against someone with Force Barrier.

True, but that's an unusual spell.

Macallan
04-06-2014, 01:36 PM
Unusual maybe, but this thread is about this spell.

I think case closed.