PDA

View Full Version : page 42 Errata Question

Bully Bully Mahu
05-10-2014, 05:02 AM
I was looking at the new errata and saw this, which wasn't in red, but still had me questioning it.

P. 42. ACTIvATING UNITs. Replace the fifth sentence of the first paragraph with the following: A trooper that is out of formation at the start of its unit’s activation must use its normal movement to make a full advance toward or run directly toward its unit commander.

I know a lot of people play it that a model intentionally left out of formation over multiple turns can advance or run 0" to satisfy this, but looking at the rules, the only time you can do that on movement that is a must is with fleeing units that specifically has a prevision for such a movement.

The way I read it is, that if you leave a model out of formation, you must try and get it back into formation the next turn. If the model doesn't make that movement, you are not satisfying the errata rule.

I could be missing something.

Mod_Neldar
05-10-2014, 05:06 AM
Running 0" directly towards and doing a full advance 0" towards the unit commander satisfies that.

It doesn't say you have to move as far as necessary to return to formation.

Bully Bully Mahu
05-10-2014, 05:36 AM
It doesn't say you have to move as far as necessary to return to formation.

I feel at the very least it is a poorly worded rule. What is the definition of "must" at that point when a 0" advance still works. Like I said, the only other involuntary movement (fleeing) actually allows a 0" advance. This one doesn't say one way or the other. It just say "must" move "toward". It could still be argued that advancing 0" is not an advance toward as it would be hard pressed to find a definition of words were moving 0" equals "normal movement to make a full advance toward or run directly toward its unit commander". I mean, you could always move 0.00000001" and satisfy it. :)

Stormpuppy_Infantry
05-10-2014, 05:44 AM
I feel at the very least it is a poorly worded rule. What is the definition of "must" at that point when a 0" advance still works. Like I said, the only other involuntary movement (fleeing) actually allows a 0" advance. This one doesn't say one way or the other. It just say "must" move "toward". It could still be argued that advancing 0" is not an advance toward as it would be hard pressed to find a definition of words were moving 0" equals "normal movement to make a full advance toward or run directly toward its unit commander". I mean, you could always move 0.00000001" and satisfy it. :)

So... what do you want to ask?

A fleeing model must run during it's activation. It is not required to move the full distance of its run, however, and it can even run 0" if desired.

Also, Advance 0" is still an advance.

Mod_Neldar
05-10-2014, 05:44 AM
What it means is your activation is dictated to you. You can't forfeit movement to avoid things like Old Witch's feat or Counter Charge.

theironking
05-10-2014, 05:47 AM
The out-of-formation model can do nothing else for their activation, thus losing out on any special abilities or attacks. The developers must believe that this is enough of a drawback for the current game mechanics. Not everything is logical in gameplay :)