PDA

View Full Version : Another Conversion question

baronvonchaos
06-17-2014, 06:41 AM
Can I convert an Impaler into a Bouncer? I’m using all privateer press parts, and by the end it would indeed have the flail and shield like a bouncer, it just wouldn’t be the bouncer’s model.

I understand conversion rules are such that if you’re using 3rd party parts that some of the original model must remain. I know I can make an impaler look like a bouncer. Would it easily pass in a tournament setting? I’m not sure of the conversion rules for essentially kitbashing with all PP parts

I don't want to have 3-4 extra models just to appease the TO.

Stormpuppy_Infantry
06-17-2014, 06:49 AM
A converted model must contain a majority of parts from the WARMACHINE or HORDES model for which the rules were written. For example, a Testament of Menoth conversion must be composed mostly of parts from the Testament of Menoth model.

So, it is not the legal conversion in the official events. Because Bouncer is never be a same model with Impailer, if you just use the parts and body from Impailer it uses majority of parts from Impailer, not Bouncer.

Model Conversion section said that warjack/warbeast kit that can make the multiful models are an exception, but Impailer is not the case as well.

Though your TO can allows some exception, but that is the official guideline.

Malkav13
06-17-2014, 06:49 AM
In the end, it is up to the TO what is legal or not. There are guidelines that they use, but it really depends on what they say goes.

PPS_Brendan
06-17-2014, 08:08 AM
Sad but true. I really want to use a unit or two of Bloodgorgers, but I'd only do so by converting up the new plastic champions. But it's not tournament legal, so a bad TO could ruin a list (and I wouldn't buy the old models and paint them too, as that's a lot of money and work for a "just in case").

WintersChill
06-17-2014, 09:20 AM
For official Privateer Press events, the model converted needs to be a majority of the model it is representing, have the correct weapon(s), and be easily identifiable as said model. You must also take care with regards to the new IP policy.

Note: it is impossible to approve a model for tournament play without seeing it in person.

Centipede
06-18-2014, 10:17 AM
Note: it is impossible to approve a model for tournament play without seeing it in person.

I don't understand this part, how is it not possible to make a decision based on pictures? Why should people have to gamble with whether or not they'll be allowed to play in the tournament when pre-approval would make everyone's life much easier?

DarkLegacy
06-18-2014, 10:26 AM
I don't understand this part, how is it not possible to make a decision based on pictures? Why should people have to gamble with whether or not they'll be allowed to play in the tournament when pre-approval would make everyone's life much easier?
Because pictures can be changed and/or hide items that may be questionable. In person is the only way to be sure.

Mod_Neldar
06-18-2014, 11:26 AM

No guarantee your judge will see it either. Or that he or she will agree with what was said online.

Aya
06-18-2014, 01:34 PM
If you're using the plastic Impaler you shouldn't have too much trouble. Both the Bouncer and Impaler use the same plastic body. At the end of the day its going to be to a TO though, do you may want to ask them what kind of guidelines they use

juckto
06-18-2014, 04:25 PM
For example, a Testament of Menoth conversion must be composed mostly of parts from the Testament of Menoth model.

For official Privateer Press events, the model converted needs to be a majority of the model it is representing, have the correct weapon(s), and be easily identifiable as said model.
Out of curiosity, how do character upgrade kits fit into this?

Malice's pieces put onto Nightmare's body has 100% of the parts from the Malice "model".
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a329/juckto/Warmachine/th_P1040930Medium_zpsb781d6ca.jpg (http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a329/juckto/Warmachine/P1040930Medium_zpsb781d6ca.jpg) (click for big)

solkan
06-18-2014, 04:56 PM
Out of curiosity, how do character upgrade kits fit into this?

Malice's pieces put onto Nightmare's body has 100% of the parts from the Malice "model".
http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a329/juckto/Warmachine/th_P1040930Medium_zpsb781d6ca.jpg (http://i14.photobucket.com/albums/a329/juckto/Warmachine/P1040930Medium_zpsb781d6ca.jpg) (click for big)

Nightmare doesn't use the standard Slayer parts. Those parts are recognizable as belonging to Nightmare because they are more ornamental. Right?

So by putting the Malice upgrade parts on Nightmare, you produce a model that an official can point to as not satisfying requirement:
- Contains the majority of the parts of the model you are representing
while being required to be a different model

For example, a helljack with one claw and one harpoon is not Malice; the model must have the correct head, harpoon blade, and all three spirit parts from the Malice upgrade in order to be considered Malice.

You could fit the Malice parts on a Leviathan, and you'd run into the same problem.

aehorst
06-18-2014, 05:01 PM
*Players will need a Cryx Heavy Plastic Warjack kit (PIP 34066) in addition to the upgrade kit in order to build Malice.

sounds like they would rule that the official model contains the slayer kit.

juckto
06-18-2014, 10:11 PM
You could fit the Malice parts on a Leviathan, and you'd run into the same problem.

Good counterpoint.

DiogenesOrder
06-19-2014, 08:06 AM
I dont know why if a person likes nyss hunters model cant play it on tournament as i.e. swordsmen if both are PP models and not bring confusion on board.

DarkLegacy
06-19-2014, 08:11 AM
The rules for Steamroller and Privateer conversions are clear. Please see those documents. This discussion is no longer a rules question.