PDA

View Full Version : When do I check Prey range?

kialindo
08-27-2014, 10:24 AM
Unit A has declared Unit B as their Prey.

Player declares they are going to activate Unit A. It is very clear that a simple move will not get their Unit A into melee with Unit B but they might get into melee with a charge. So the Player is left with the option of Declare a Charge or move forward and make a ranged attack. Does the player need to declare the Charge before checking to see if they get the speed bonus from Prey?

My thought is yes, not so much based on rules as written for Prey but rather based on the fact that if they can measure the 10" they will know whether or not they can get into melee with a charge and basically allows them to measure their charge range ..... Thoughts? Is there a ruling on this?

MagnustheJust
08-27-2014, 10:34 AM
I have always seen Prey measured when you activate the model/unit that has the ability of Prey. It is a side effect of the ability that the distance is known before declaring movement or action when activating them.

Grey Templar
08-27-2014, 10:36 AM
Prey is measured at the start of the units activation before you declare anything.

Its basically a free 10" measurement on any line between a model with Prey and its target Prey.

gnomfoo
08-27-2014, 02:01 PM
An important note is that while you can measure the 10 before you declare anything, prey triggers from even a single model, so in the case of units with prey checking for the movement bonus against a unit that is marked as prey, you would only check the distance to the nearest model. So essentially, you only get to know the distance (within 10) to the nearest model.

Celebros
08-27-2014, 02:31 PM
An important note is that while you can measure the 10 before you declare anything, prey triggers from even a single model, so in the case of units with prey checking for the movement bonus against a unit that is marked as prey, you would only check the distance to the nearest model. So essentially, you only get to know the distance (within 10) to the nearest model.

That is incorrect. The +2" of movement portion of Prey is model by model, so you would need/be able to to make measurements from all models in the unit.

juckto
08-27-2014, 02:50 PM
He isn't wrong. He is talking about a single model with prey measuring to a prey target which happens to be a unit.

I'm guessing you are talking about a unit with prey measuring to their prey target.

Leonard_Dukes
08-27-2014, 02:52 PM
That is incorrect. The +2" of movement portion of Prey is model by model, so you would need/be able to to make measurements from all models in the unit.

I think what gnomfoo is saying is that when measuring from a model with Prey (which is done, per your comment, for every model in a unit) you only measure to the nearest model in another unit that is the Prey target.

So if I've got a full unit of Warspears with UA and the Prey Target is a 10-man unit with a 2-man UA, I measure from each of my Warspears, but only to one model each. Once I've established (for each of my models) whether any member of the Prey unit is within 10", I'm done measuring for that particular Warspear. So I can't measure from Warspear A to the nearest model and say "Okay, he's 7 inches away, now let me measure to the next nearest guy" and so on.

Celebros
08-27-2014, 03:54 PM
My mistake, but to me, the post I responded to made it sound as if a unit with Prey only made one measurement to its Prey unit and and once a single model was "in" you stopped checking from subsequent models in the your unit - thus my comment.