PDA

View Full Version : arcane interference

Evil Necromancer
10-07-2014, 11:31 PM
Pardon me for my naiviness but I'm struggling to understand how arcane interference works on units.

On single modes, far enough.

But since the wording implies models and not units, what happens when the target is a model in a unit?

It only affect that single model? So if I have for example, a unit of crippling grasped IF and I shoot them with Eyriss, only the model actually shot it's free from the spell?

lobachevskii
10-08-2014, 12:05 AM
If an upkeep spell affecting a unit expires on one model in the unit, it expires on all models in the unit.

The upkeep expires on all models in the unit.

Evil Necromancer
10-08-2014, 12:14 AM
The upkeep expires on all models in the unit.

but it doesn't say so on the manual.

So it should redacted to model /unit.

Or maybe there is a errata?

lobachevskii
10-08-2014, 12:26 AM
but it doesn't say so on the manual.

So it should redacted to model /unit.

Or maybe there is a errata?

The quote in my original post is from the Upkeep Spells section of War Room. If you check the Upkeep Spells section of Prime/Primal you should find exactly the same statement (I don't have it with me here so I can't give you a page number). It is not an errata.

Not_that_one
10-08-2014, 01:02 AM
This should go on the rules query forum, but to quote from Warroom:

"If an upkeep spell affecting a unit expires on one model in the unit, it expires on all models in the unit"

Hope that clears it up :)

vintersbastard
10-08-2014, 01:09 AM
Said quote is from Prime, p. 78, fourth paragraph under Upkeep Spells.

solkan
10-08-2014, 04:20 AM
I think this is the key part:

Some special rules and spells affect entire units. Those special rules and spells are noted in their descriptions. If a special rule or spell specifies "target unit," it must target a trooper in a unit but will affect all models in the unit. Effects that specify "target model/unit" can target any model, including non-troopers, but if the target model is a trooper the effect will apply to the entire unit.

When you cast an upkeep on a unit, that upkeep applies to every model in the unit. There's a little bit of retroactivity involved since the effect of the upkeep is essentially on all models in the unit while those models are in the unit. So you can target a particular model in a unit, and if you dispel effects on it you trigger that previously quoted rule:

If an upkeep spell affecting a unit expires on one model in the unit, it expires on all models in the unit.

The reason why Arcane Interference isn't model/unit is because individual models in a unit could have "target model" effects on them. If trooper A has a 'target model' effect on it, using Arcane Interference on trooper B in the same unit won't remove A's 'target model' upkeep. But it would if Arcane Interference was a "target model/unit" effect.

Evil Necromancer
10-08-2014, 09:48 PM
Thanks, make much more sense now.