PDA

View Full Version : energizer vs arcane vortex

kinginyellow
11-08-2014, 04:38 PM
So, hopefully my question is simple. If a model that can cast the spell energizer (like butcher3) and is with 3" of a model with arcane vortex (like alexia2) and she negates the spell.

Can the model cast energizer again?

Arcane vortex says to negate the spell, but enegizer says it can only be cast once. Thanks for the answers.

Nohwear
11-08-2014, 04:44 PM
It is my understanding, that the negated spell will count as cast. This means that the cost will be paid. If the spell says it can only be cast once per turn, then it can not be cast again. Other wise, the spell can be cast again, if the cost can be paid again. I hope that was not worded badly.

solkan
11-08-2014, 05:30 PM
Arcane vortex says to negate the spell, but enegizer says it can only be cast once. Thanks for the answers.

Arcane Vortex specifies how to "negate" the spell:

The negated spell does not take effect, but its COST remains spent.

Compare that to the description of what happens to an out-of-range spell:

If the target is beyond maximum range, a non-offensive spell does not take effect and offensive spell automatically misses.

In other words, the spell's cost is paid for, you've possibly declared a target for the spell, and thus you get through at least the first part of the process for casting the spell, but no effects of the spell are applied. But you still cast the spell.

So a rule prohibiting you from casting the spell twice would still apply.

Grey Templar
11-08-2014, 05:30 PM
You still count as having cast the spell with Arcane Vortex. Its not like Counter Magic which prevents the casting outright.

Phantasmagorium
11-10-2014, 10:15 AM
This model can immediately negate any spell that targets it or a model within 3" of it...

This model spends up to 3 focus points to caster Energizer. Models in its battlegroup that are currently in its control area can immediately advance...

You cannot use Arcane Vortex on Energizer. Energizer does not target.

Grey Templar
11-10-2014, 10:17 AM
I believe its range self, meaning it targets the model casting it. So if they're within Arcane Vortex range it can be negated.

Phantasmagorium
11-10-2014, 10:23 AM
I believe its range self, meaning it targets the model casting it. So if they're within Arcane Vortex range it can be negated.

Edit: found it a page and a half away from the range rules; not explicitly stated but implied strongly.

Kuarnix
11-10-2014, 10:27 AM
This is a common question:

https://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?187812-RNG-Self-spells-vs-Arcane-Vortex

DarkLegacy
11-10-2014, 10:37 AM
Kuarnix has the correct link. Arcane Vortex can stop SELF spells because SELF spells still target.

solkan and Grey Templar are correct with the rest.

kinginyellow
11-10-2014, 01:02 PM
Understood and thanks for everything guys. Can close the thread.