PDA

View Full Version : Steamroller meanungful activation, Scenario play and allowed shortcuts

Herudaio
11-15-2014, 06:46 AM
A player is required to make a meanungful activation of every model by Steamroller.

Follow-up on this topic:
https://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?211244-Steamroller-meanungful-activation-vs-Scenario-play

How this:

"Jack, activates, shoot, boost to hit, boost to kill, kills the last contesting model."
"Karchev, activates, forfeits movement, does nothing."
"Second jack, activates, forfeits movement, does nothing."
"Malakov, activates, forfeits movement, does nothing."
"Eiryss, activates, forfeits movement, does nothing."
"Rifle Corps, activates, forfeits movement, does nothing."
"Joe, activates, forfeits movement, does nothing."
"Mechanics, activates, forfeits movement, does nothing."
"Widowmakers, activates, forfeits movement, does nothing."

is more meaningful then this:

"Jack, activates, shoot, boost to hit, boost to kill, kills the last contesting model."
"The rest does nothing."

To be clear, there are no counter-charges, triggers at the end of the movement etc. just pure unresponsive dictation.

I understand that this rule is to prevent playing the clock, but if your turn is meaningful i.e. you cleared the zone,
why you are required to recite a poem without a meaning? Is this really playing a Warmachine?

Bonus question:
Does that mean that every player is REQUIRED to remember his opponent that for example he did not activate eEiryss he forgot about, because he did not declare a meaningful activation with her?

Bittersashes
11-15-2014, 08:06 AM
For one thing, just because you cannot think of anything your opponant can do it does not mean that your opponant cannot think of anything. Therefore, you must activate all models to give him a chance to resond to each activation.

For a second thing, it means that you cannot efficiently sacrifice activations for the whole army to preserve clock time.

For a third thing, the rules require sequential activation of units. Saying that all units activate at the same time is not a valid or meaningful action under the basic game rules.

Grey Templar
11-15-2014, 08:25 AM
You are required to do the former. Your opponent might have some abilities which activate on your turn and you must activate things in some order so things can be resolved properly. It doesn't matter if he actually doesn't have anything which does trigger, you must still act as if he does.

Wehrkind
11-15-2014, 10:32 AM
So to clarify, you can allow an opponent to neglect to activate a model/unit if you desire, but they are under obligation to activate everyone if they can, so you can make them announce "____ activates, forfeits movement and action." Is that correct?

Grey Templar
11-15-2014, 11:29 AM
Yes. If they just say "everything activates and does nothing" you can reply "You can't do that, you must individually activate, forfeit, and do nothing with each model/unit".

As for if he genuinely forgets to activate someone, the rules don't tell you what to do when you don't follow the rules.

rydiafan
11-15-2014, 03:50 PM
Yes. If they just say "everything activates and does nothing" you can reply "You can't do that, you must individually activate, forfeit, and do nothing with each model/unit".

As for if he genuinely forgets to activate someone, the rules don't tell you what to do when you don't follow the rules.

This is correct with the caveat that the second sentence is only true if BOTH players forget. It is the responsibility of both players to ensure that rules of the game are followed, so if you know your opponent neglected to activate a model during his turn you should point it out when they attempt to end said turn.

EDIT: Also, since it changes more rapidly than the core rules do, I will specify for future historians that this is true as of SR2014.

Herudaio
11-16-2014, 06:20 AM

As for if he genuinely forgets to activate someone, the rules don't tell you what to do when you don't follow the rules.This is correct with the caveat that the second sentence is only true if BOTH players forget. It is the responsibility of both players to ensure that rules of the game are followed, so if you know your opponent neglected to activate a model during his turn you should point it out when they attempt to end said turn.

EDIT: Also, since it changes more rapidly than the core rules do, I will specify for future historians that this is true as of SR2014.

Ok. Let's be honest - there are only handful of rules that work during opponent turn. If there are two models left on the table its easy to say that no such effects can be in effect, but I understand that it cannot be supported in respective rule and totally understand the official answer.

My question is therefore following:

Can I have a written piece of paper with activations in order?
Just like the "poem" I've written in the beginning just on a piece of paper. It's technically the same. There is order and you do not have to turn nice Warmachine game into reciting tournament.

Grey Templar
11-16-2014, 10:03 AM
Sure, as long as you read it out loud.

rydiafan
11-16-2014, 08:18 PM
It's obvious you think the distinction is pointless, but it is nevertheless a distinction mandated by the rules.