PDA

View Full Version : Cutting LoS and free strikes

Hai-pe-neki
01-11-2015, 01:23 AM
So, i come here seeking an answer that i think i already know and my friends agree with me. But they reported that this had been ruled strangely on them at some important tourneys outside of italy, so i wanted to ask to have a reference for the future.

Ok, we have an A player model, with reach.
B player has 3 models, B1,B2,B3. Reach or not is pointless. Let's assume all models have the same base size.

A is in btb with B1 and B2 is engaged by A and partially obscured by B1.

http://i58.tinypic.com/33vyalk.jpg

B3 moves to completely cut the los from A to B2, does B2 takes a free strike? I think the answer is obviously NO, because it's not leaving A's melee range, is something else that is cutting it away.

Subsequent question, now B2 is unengaged (so it can make ranged attacks) and it's free to go away without risk free strikes, right?

Obviously this doesn't happens if A has still Los on B2 (like if B1 had been hit by Taryn's Shadow fire).

Thanks to all in advance!

Leonard_Dukes
01-11-2015, 01:42 AM
When B3 moves such that it now blocks LOS to B2, B2 will not incur a free strike as it has not advanced out of A1's melee range or LOS.

When B2 then advances away, although it does now advance out of A1's melee range, A1 will be unable to make a free strike, assuming that LOS from it to B2 is blocked at least until B2 is completely out of A1's melee range. To be precise, B2 does, technically, incur a free strike, but as long as A1 is unable to draw LOS to B2, A1 cannot target it to make the attack.

Stormpuppy_Infantry
01-11-2015, 02:20 AM
When B3 moves such that it now blocks LOS to B2, B2 will not incur a free strike as it has not advanced out of A1's melee range or LOS.

When B2 then advances away, although it does now advance out of A1's melee range, A1 will be unable to make a free strike, assuming that LOS from it to B2 is blocked at least until B2 is completely out of A1's melee range. To be precise, B2 does, technically, incur a free strike, but as long as A1 is unable to draw LOS to B2, A1 cannot target it to make the attack.

So if A1 has Tall in the Saddle then it can make the free strike if B1~3 is smaller than it.

Leonard_Dukes
01-11-2015, 08:50 AM
So if A1 has Tall in the Saddle then it can make the free strike if B1~3 is smaller than it.

Correct. Anything that allows A1 to have LOS to B2 while it advances away will allow it to potentially make a free strike.

TBT
01-12-2015, 02:34 PM
It seems to me that tall in the saddle only affects choosing charge target. Other rules still apply though

Leonard_Dukes
01-12-2015, 02:42 PM
It seems to me that tall in the saddle only affects choosing charge target. Other rules still apply though

Incorrect:

Cavalry models ignore intervening models with bases smaller than their own when making melee attacks.

Additionally, Cavalry models ignore intervening models with bases smaller than their own when declaring a charge target.