PDA

View Full Version : Death Harvest, Grave door and deathly dominion

Mattyg2787
01-11-2015, 03:12 AM
Ok so sitting around our lgs, one of the other guys had an idea. We've run over this and at the moment it works. Just want to confirm we have done it right.

Calaban pops his feat death harvest meaning he can cast a spell when a friendly model in his control destroys an enemy model.

He then shoots his gun killing a model triggering grave door. The model stays an enemy model that I can channel through.

Turn progresses, calaban gets feat fury. Sacral vault shoots the grave door model and uses deathly dominion. That model then advances and kills another model.

As soon as the attack is resolved, death harvest kicks in meaning the deathly dominion target can be channeled through (assuming he meets all requirements). After calaban casts, the model is then rfp.

Let me know if this is correct and legal

Thanks infernals

Stormpuppy_Infantry
01-11-2015, 03:18 AM
It seems that all part will be correct.

vintersbastard
01-11-2015, 07:18 AM
Turn progresses, calaban gets feat fury. Sacral vault shoots the grave door model and uses deathly dominion. That model then advances and kills another model.

As soon as the attack is resolved, death harvest kicks in meaning the deathly dominion target can be channeled through (assuming he meets all requirements). After calaban casts, the model is then rfp.
The Remove From Play is part of Deathly Dominion, it happens during resolution of the attack; in fact, the model is never destroyed, so you do not even get a fury for it at the end of the turn (which would be when you get the fury for the original Heart Stopper attack, cf. here (https://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?44436-Calaban-Grave-Door-and-Feat&p=945355&highlight=death+harvest#post945355)). This also means the model is not there anymore when you get the spell from the feat.

Mattyg2787
01-11-2015, 03:33 PM
No but the deathly dominion model becomes a friendly model. The wording on the feat says it triggers when it destroys something else (assuming I hit and kill) so feat kicks in for calaban to get a fury and cast, then the deathly dominion model dies.

I'm really looking for an infernal to say yes/no as I did have a judge review this at our LGS as well and his recommendation was to check here.
Cheers

Malkav13
01-11-2015, 03:43 PM
Deathly Dominion states that the enemy model makes a full advance, followed by a normal melee attack, then the boxed model is removed from play.
Calaban's Feat has 2 parts. The first: "After a friendly model destoys an enemy model Calaban can gain one Fury." Part 2: "After resolving an attack in which a model destroys an enemy model Calaban can cast a spell."
So, it appears it goes like this.
Deathly Dominion boxes a model->You take control of the model, move and make an attack->Destroy enemy model->Calaban gains one Fury->Attack is resolved->Deathly Dominion RFPs the controlled model->Calaban can cast a spell.

vintersbastard
01-11-2015, 03:49 PM
No but the deathly dominion model becomes a friendly model. The wording on the feat says it triggers when it destroys something else (assuming I hit and kill) so feat kicks in for calaban to get a fury and cast, then the deathly dominion model dies.
Ah, you were referring to the Deathly Dominion attack in your original post, not the Sacral Vault attack; I misread that.

The Deathly Dominion attack will in fact grant you a feat spell, with the Grave Doored model still there to channel through.

Mattyg2787
01-11-2015, 05:20 PM
I am very very happy with that.

Malkav13
01-11-2015, 05:53 PM
But, it seems Calaban can't cast a spell until after the attack is resolved, so the Grave Door model should be removed from play by then.

vintersbastard
01-11-2015, 06:06 PM
But, it seems Calaban can't cast a spell until after the attack is resolved, so the Grave Door model should be removed from play by then.

The attack in question is the one made by the Deathly Dominioned model; it should only be removed once the attack has fully resolved (i.e. run through all steps of attack resolution, including step 12.b & d), as far as I can tell.

Narak
01-11-2015, 06:08 PM
My favorite is when Calaban feats, grave doors a model... jaga-jaga feats, kill grave door model it becomes a friendly faction solo but keeps all its abilities... walk it to prime location, kill some stuff, cast some spells :P

Malkav13
01-11-2015, 06:47 PM
Yes, the Deathly Dominioned model makes an attack, destroys a model, Calaban gets a fury, the attack resolves, Deathly Domioned model dies, then Calaban can cast a spell.
Calaban does his spell after resolving an attack which killed a model.

Malkav13
01-11-2015, 10:41 PM
Ok, think I found the answer. In the Attack timing section 12.
a)Resolve effects that automatically damage, destroy, or remove models from play. This will happen from Deathly Dominion.
b) Resolve active player effects that do no involve making an attack. This is where Calaban's Feat would take place.

Keeper Hobo
01-12-2015, 03:21 AM
The main question is whether the RFP from Deathly Dominion triggers before Calabans interrupt from Death Harvest.

If you look above that in Section 11 Step 5 it says "if the model is still boxed, it is destroyed. Resolve any effects triggered by a model being destroyed" Death harvest triggers on destroyed for fury "Each time a friendly model destroys an enemy model while the friendly model is in Calaban's CNTRL area Calaban gains 1 fury point" I am unsure deathly domion makes the model "friendly" in which case you don't get the fury. The next part of the feat specifically says "Immediately after resolving an attack in which 1 or more models was destroyed" then after the attack is resolved is when Calaban would cast. Section 12 specifies what malk said "Resolve effects that automatically damage, destroy, or remove models from play".

OK I looked up friendlies definition "if you take control of one of your enemies models or units, it is friendly for as long as it is under your control"

From the top
1. Calaban feats using Death Harvest
2. Calaban attacks with Heart Stopper boxing an enemy model triggering Grave Door it heals 1 damage point and can be channelled through until the end of the turn. after which it is destroyed
3. Sacral Vault shoots Spectral Fury and boxes the same model, the player chooses to trigger Deathly Dominion
4. Model under the effects of Deathly Dominion advance and make a normal attack destroying an enemy model
5. Section 11 step 5 we resolve any effects that occur from destroyed generating 1 fury
6. we resolve the attack
7. The attack is now resolved and Calaban's feat says "Immediately after resolving an attack" Calaban can cast a spell. The question is does this interrupt the normal sequence of Resolved attacks in Section 12
8. a) Resolve effects that automatically damage, destroy, or remove models from play.
8. b) Resolve active player effects that do no involve making an attack

By the wording it seems like your model is removed before you could channel, since it states after resolving which to me suggests you go through resolved attack sequence first. it seems somewhat corner case because you need to be un-engaged to channel from Grave Door.

Mattyg2787
01-12-2015, 04:17 AM
Looking less positive now.....
back to wishing for an arc node

Malkav13
01-12-2015, 07:57 AM
I love using Calaban and wish that it did work out for him too :(