PDA

View Full Version : Charging - units in melee

cyranoinlondon
02-20-2015, 03:56 PM
Earlier this evening I had the following situation:-

1. A unit of Daughters of the Flame charged a unit of Obstructors. 7 were within 0.5" of a Daughter and 4 died.
2. In my opponent's turn his caster (Axis) placed a Razorwall behind the Daughters. He then cast Unstoppable Force on the Obstructors. He declared that the Obstructors were charging.
3. His models fell into 3 groups:-
a) 3 were less than 0.5" from a Daughter
b) 1 was approx. 1.5" from a Daughter - ie the Daughter was in its melee range but it was not in the melee range of the Daughter
c) 2 were more than 3" from the Daughters.

So my questions are:-
1. Can a unit be given a charge order when some of its models are already engaged in melee?
2. If so I can see that the 2 outside of 3" from the Daughters could charge, but could the other 4 given that they are all in a position to attack already?
3. Did he need to charge? Looking at the Unstoppable Force rule it looks as if the Obstructors only had to advance to B2B to push the Daughters back into the wall.

Thanks
C

Magic
02-20-2015, 04:01 PM
1) Yes, you can still give a charge order when some/all of the unit is engaged.
2) Models do not need to move three inches to attack; merely to qualify for the 'charge attack', so those that moved less than three inches make a normal melee attack.
3) I am unfamiliar with Convergence as I've never really seen anyone play it and cannot answer the question.

nitnit
02-20-2015, 04:31 PM
Unstoppable Force is a battlegroup only spell so won't work on the Obstructors.

AcidOverride
02-20-2015, 06:35 PM
Other then the fact that Unstoppable Force can't be put on the Obstructors, everything else was fine. Charging requires you to move 3 inches to get the bonus, but not for anything else.

IceShadow
02-20-2015, 07:05 PM
Note that if a unit does get the charge/run order when some models are engaged (perhaps to get the charging bonus from models that can move 3" to charge something), all models that want to attack anything still need to "charge." This means they'll end up facing whichever model they are attacking directly - they can't turn a different direction at all.

RejjeN
02-20-2015, 07:40 PM
The whole Battlegroup concept can be quite confusing if you're new to the game, I assume your friend is (and maybe you as well? Since you implied you read the card but didn't catch the battlegroup thing).

For clarity, Battlegroup specifically refers to your Warcaster and his attachements (Warjacks and Warcaster Attachments in this case), while Battle Engines, Solos and Units are part of the army they are not part of the Battlegroup. (If you have a Journeyman Warcaster or are playing with more than one caster they each have their own separate Battlegroup as well, so it's important to make that distinction.)

XC18
02-20-2015, 08:16 PM
Note that with unstoppable force, you can charge a model 1.5" away, then push 2" then continue the charge. So you end up moving 3.5" and have a successful. charge. Being in melee at the beginning of the charge doesn't change anything.

Mod_Neldar
02-20-2015, 09:48 PM
For clarity, Battlegroup specifically refers to your Warcaster and his attachements (Warjacks and Warcaster Attachments in this case), while Battle Engines, Solos and Units are part of the army they are not part of the Battlegroup.

Um... Warcaster attachments are typically not part of the battle group.

Standard battle group is warcaster and warjacks.

Some warcasters come with a model that has a rule called Companion that makes it part of the battlegroup but this is an exception. Companion models often have the Attached rule too, but Attached does not add the model to the battlegroup.

cyranoinlondon
02-21-2015, 04:10 AM
Thanks for these replies.

It clarifies quite a bit. I relied on my opponent to read out his card to me, and missed the battlegroup point.

Regards
C

RejjeN
02-21-2015, 08:17 AM
Um... Warcaster attachments are typically not part of the battle group.

Standard battle group is warcaster and warjacks.

Some warcasters come with a model that has a rule called Companion that makes it part of the battlegroup but this is an exception. Companion models often have the Attached rule too, but Attached does not add the model to the battlegroup.
Whoops! Guess I confused it due to Iron Mother's servitors being part of her Battlegroup (But that's due to them being in a unit with her, of course). xD