PDA

View Full Version : Archangel and ride-by attack

Caladian
02-28-2015, 04:58 PM
So, a couple of questions that my searchfu failed me.

1) Can an archangel do its combat action while still over models/obstructions?

2) If it can, what happens if it loses what would have been its landing spot, or you thought you had enough movement to make it to a valid landing point, but you guessed wrong and do not? (Mountain King putting out a Troll Whelp, on damage effect movements, etc)

Thanks!

IceShadow
02-28-2015, 05:03 PM
We had this come up at a tournament with Bane Riders and a wall. We interpreted it as the model needs to pause to make its attack, so it couldn't stop on the wall.

AcidOverride
02-28-2015, 05:40 PM
No he cannot. Your stopping point while making attacks must be a legal spot to stop if you choose not to move after the attacks.

solkan
02-28-2015, 06:55 PM
... can advance through obstructions and other models if it has enough movement to move completely past them.
means "can advance through _____ if it has enough movement to do so, and proves that fact by doing so."

You don't get to stop in the middle of an Incorporeal model by saying "Well, I have enough movement to get completely through it, I just don't want to." Likewise, you don't get to stop in the middle of an obstacle or another model using Flight. And if you halt your movement while in the middle of the obstacle or model, that's the same thing.

Caladian
02-28-2015, 07:10 PM
So, are you saying that each part of your movement is an advance?

Other part is, on the ride by, how do you prove that you can completely advance through it, without premeasuring?

The Captain
03-01-2015, 04:53 AM
Other part is, on the ride by, how do you prove that you can completely advance through it, without premeasuring?
You don't.

You try to move across the obstacle or model, but if your movement is not sufficient, you backtrack to the latest legal position. No need to premeasure, as you measure while moving.

Caladian
03-01-2015, 08:12 AM
You don't.

You try to move across the obstacle or model, but if your movement is not sufficient, you backtrack to the latest legal position. No need to premeasure, as you measure while moving.

Problem is that normally, you can go over a model and backtrack (Seraph does this sometimes), so question still remains, can they even stop over a model to do the combat action despite their move action not being over?

Leonard_Dukes
03-01-2015, 08:26 AM
Problem is that normally, you can go over a model and backtrack (Seraph does this sometimes), so question still remains, can they even stop over a model to do the combat action despite their move action not being over?

A model that has the ability to interrupt its movement to do something else (e.g. Impact Attack, Ride By Attack) cannot do so in a spot where it could not normally end its movement (e.g. on a linear obstacle, overlapping another model).

IceShadow
03-01-2015, 08:36 AM
Previous thread (no infernal ruling I could see, but not corrected):

https://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?91852-Uhlans-Markov-and-Ride-by-Impact-Attacks

Caladian
03-01-2015, 09:06 AM
It also isn't locked. I am perfectly fine if this thread was locked saying that ride-by attacks can't be done in an illegal placement. *looks for an infernal to lock it now*

Leonard_Dukes
03-01-2015, 10:17 AM
It also isn't locked. I am perfectly fine if this thread was locked saying that ride-by attacks can't be done in an illegal placement. *looks for an infernal to lock it now*

Here's a thread (https://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?183298-Doing-an-impact-attack-while-standing-on-top-of-a-model) indicating (via lock) that a model cannot interrupt its movement to make an Impact Attack if its position would be one in which it couldn't normally end its movement. Since Ride By Attacks and Impact Attacks both interrupt the model's movement, the same restrictions are applied to where/when they can interrupt their movement.

Caladian
03-01-2015, 10:35 AM
Okay, thanks LD!