PDA

View Full Version : Eruption of Spines

Whistimbix
03-05-2015, 04:16 PM
Firstly, I apologize if this is this question is stupid. My brother and I are very new to the game and are debating the wording of Eruption of Spines, a spell for Lylyth, Herald of Everblight.

The wording is "If target model is hit, d6 nearest models within 5" of it suffer a POW 10 damage roll." Our confusion arises from the "POW 10 damage roll". When someone is hit with that, do they just take 10 damage? Or 10-ARM damage? Or is it 10+2d6-ARM damage? And can these be boosted? In our games, its useless one way, and seemingly OP another way, leaving us perturbed. We've received answers supporting all arguments from people at our local hobby shop, so we are really hoping for some concrete answers, so we've come to the source.

Thank you for reading.

micho
03-05-2015, 04:25 PM
Every damage roll is P+S (or POW) + 2d6. Therefore, it is 10 + 2d6 - ARM damage. It can normally be boosted, unless it explicitly say it cannot.

Be aware that you have to make individual damage rolls for all the targets of Eruption of Spines and, if you want to boost the damage roll, you have to do it individually as well.

SageofLodoss
03-05-2015, 04:26 PM
Firstly, I apologize if this is this question is stupid. My brother and I are very new to the game and are debating the wording of Eruption of Spines, a spell for Lylyth, Herald of Everblight.

The wording is "If target model is hit, d6 nearest models within 5" of it suffer a POW 10 damage roll." Our confusion arises from the "POW 10 damage roll". When someone is hit with that, do they just take 10 damage? Or 10-ARM damage? Or is it 10+2d6-ARM damage? And can these be boosted? In our games, its useless one way, and seemingly OP another way, leaving us perturbed. We've received answers supporting all arguments from people at our local hobby shop, so we are really hoping for some concrete answers, so we've come to the source.

Thank you for reading.

It says they suffer a POW 10 Damage roll, not just suffer 10 damage. That means you're making an actual damage roll with 2D6 (or more if you boost) using a POW of 10 and comparing the result to their ARM to calculate damage. You will make a separate POW 10 damage roll against the original model hit and however many (D6) extras you got.

Edit: Ninja'd. Also, it probably seems "useless" that way because you're playing battlebox games or something close to it, but you'd see how useful it is when single wound infantry is on the table.

Whistimbix
03-05-2015, 07:11 PM
Thanks fellas. And Sage, I felt it was useless if it didn't include the 2d6, as I've yet to see anything with ARM lower than 10. My brother is currently playing Cryx, and uses bane thralls, which are 1 wound infantry. I wiped the unit with one cast, and that is where the argument sprang from.