PDA

View Full Version : Strider Rangers, an out of formation trooper and Reform

Jairoe03
03-05-2015, 11:00 PM
Alright, so I am a bit overwhelmed by what happens regarding accidentally putting a Strider Ranger (w/ UA available) trooper out of formation. First, can it make a CRA with unit? Second, does it get to Reform before the end of its activation and possibly avoid a CMD check by moving 3 inches towards commander? Third, if it fails its 2nd CMD check while within formation, does it affect the whole unit?

Stormpuppy_Infantry
03-05-2015, 11:39 PM
While out of formation, the trooper cannot make an attack nor advances. Command check because of out of formation only affects that trooper.

Please check Command section of either Warmachine: Prime MK II or Hordes: Primal MK II.

Jairoe03
03-05-2015, 11:43 PM
Let me clarify a bit more, I placed the trooper out of formation during its movement, I was wondering if it suffers all the out of formation things on the next activation or as soon as it falls out of formation. It isn't quite clearly stated in the book. I understand you cannot Reform unless the model took an action, but if I moved my Commander to make trooper that was out-of-formation during movement to be back in formation before end of activation via Reform, does the trooper avoid the CMD check? (modified question)

Leonard_Dukes
03-05-2015, 11:53 PM
A model that is out of formation cannot participate in a CRA or a CMA.

Models only benefit from a Granted ability while the model that has the Granted ability on its card is in formation. Since the Strider Officer is always, by definition, in formation and there are no other restrictions in place on the Granted: Reform ability, models in that unit benefit from Reform while out of formation.

If a Strider Ranger model began in formation but moved out of formation during the unit's activation, it could possibly use Reform to get back into formation (including having the Commander Reform closer to the grunt) with no ill effects, provided the model(s) wanting to Reform did not run, fail a charge, forfeit its action, or suffer any other effect causing it to end its activation before performing its action.

If a Strider Ranger began out of formation, it must advance and forfeit its action or run, and in either case it will not be able to use Reform that activation.

A model only makes a command check for being out of formation once the entire unit has completed its activation - in this case, after all Reform movements are made. Out-of-formation command checks are made on an individual model basis, suffering -2 CMD.

Jairoe03
03-06-2015, 12:17 AM

Models only benefit from a Granted ability while the model that has the Granted ability on its card is in formation. Since the Strider Officer is always, by definition, in formation and there are no other restrictions in place on the Granted: Reform ability, models in that unit benefit from Reform while out of formation.

If a Strider Ranger model began in formation but moved out of formation during the unit's activation, it could possibly use Reform to get back into formation (including having the Commander Reform closer to the grunt) with no ill effects, provided the model(s) wanting to Reform did not run, fail a charge, forfeit its action, or suffer any other effect causing it to end its activation before performing its action.

If a Strider Ranger began out of formation, it must advance and forfeit its action or run, and in either case it will not be able to use Reform that activation.

A model only makes a command check for being out of formation once the entire unit has completed its activation - in this case, after all Reform movements are made. Out-of-formation command checks are made on an individual model basis, suffering -2 CMD.

Thanks a lot, this helps clears a lot of it up for me. Sorry for the muckiness of my question and situation. Was running a little drill by myself and ran across this situation where I botched a movement. Thanks again ;)

Stormpuppy_Infantry
03-06-2015, 12:25 AM

I don't think so. While out of formation troopers cannot advance outside of its normal movement. Then how an out of formation model can make Reform, which allows to advance?

If a model was temporary out of formation during the activation but back to in formation then it is not problem because out of formation trooper suffers such penalty while out of formation. But the trooper is out of formation when the unit completes their actions, then the out of formation models cannot make Reform.

I was forgot to say that check Unit section....

Leonard_Dukes
03-06-2015, 12:39 AM
I don't think so. While out of formation troopers cannot advance outside of its normal movement.

Quite right, I overlooked/forgot that restriction.

In the given example, the out of formation grunt could not use Reform unless/until it is back in formation, possibly by the Commander using Reform to achieve that.

Jairoe03
03-06-2015, 08:14 AM
Quite right, I overlooked/forgot that restriction.

In the given example, the out of formation grunt could not use Reform unless/until it is back in formation, possibly by the Commander using Reform to achieve that.

Understood, thanks for the clarification Stormpuppy Infantry. That's really good for me to know. Still trying to get the hang of all the nuances of the rules and following each thing to the letter. Things are easily overlooked sometimes so I always want to be sure I'm executing things properly especially to save time when playing games with other people.