PDA

View Full Version : Is the melee after an assault attack boosted?

Speknawz
03-14-2015, 03:10 AM
Hello, looking to resolve a dispute at my LGS, got one guy telling me the melee attack after an Assault order is not boosted, and another saying it is. I can't find anything to back up either claim in the rulebook nor from searching the forums. I am leaning towards being boosted as it is a charge attack but would to bring something more than opinion to show them and be done with it.

Thanks in advance and I appreciate the assistance, please forgive me if I overlooked a thread with the answer already in it.

Battle Mage
03-14-2015, 03:13 AM
If the card says "Charge" then yes you get it boosted. Charge is Charge... He doesnt walk up, fire, whack.. he charges up, fires and whacks. Wordings are deliberate.

Edit: More specifically it fires as it charges..

Koschei
03-14-2015, 04:22 AM
The above is correct. You perform the charge as normal, with the ranged attack interrupting the charge before the melee attack.

Stormpuppy_Infantry
03-14-2015, 04:38 AM
Nothing says that the charge attack is not boosted because of Assault.

That guy should be confused with 'first attack is the charge attack and if it is a melee attack then the damage roll is boosted' part. It does not makes charge attack is not boosted. Assault ranged attck is seperated with the charge attack; Assault ranged attack is an out of combat action attack, but charge attack is the first attack in the combat action.

Mod_Neldar
03-14-2015, 06:09 AM
The minimum movement requirement still comes into play. If you don't move at least 3", you don't make a charge attack so it isn't boosted.

Otherwise it is a charge attack and charge attacks get boosted damage.

Speknawz
03-14-2015, 11:41 AM
The above is correct. You perform the charge as normal, with the ranged attack interrupting the charge before the melee attack.

This is what I tried to initially convey, because there is absolutely nothing that says it stops it from being a charge attack. But the other player wouldn't back down from their claim because I couldn't find a magic sentence that explains it, (mind you he had nothing to back it up only his own conjecture, it was his heavy I was trying to kill) all other charge prerequisites were fulfilled, that wasn't an issue. I think he was just angry I was stomping him into the ground (he's also tried to take free strikes on my jack after I trampled over the would be free striking model) that issue has been solved thankfully as that one is clearly spelled out in the trample section.

Maybe we can finally finish a game without someone having to re - check the rulebook every other activation because one or the other is confused about the rules... seriously, it is to the point that it's making this game more like a bad job than a fun pass time. /end rant

Thanks again for the answers everyone, I appreciate your help with ending these misunderstandings.

Jester5613
03-14-2015, 12:00 PM
This is what I tried to initially convey, because there is absolutely nothing that says it stops it from being a charge attack. But the other player wouldn't back down from their claim because I couldn't find a magic sentence that explains it, (mind you he had nothing to back it up only his own conjecture, it was his heavy I was trying to kill) all other charge prerequisites were fulfilled, that wasn't an issue. I think he was just angry I was stomping him into the ground (he's also tried to take free strikes on my jack after I trampled over the would be free striking model) that issue has been solved thankfully as that one is clearly spelled out in the trample section.

Maybe we can finally finish a game without someone having to re - check the rulebook every other activation because one or the other is confused about the rules... seriously, it is to the point that it's making this game more like a bad job than a fun pass time. /end rant

Thanks again for the answers everyone, I appreciate your help with ending these misunderstandings.

Sounds like your opponent was just salty about losing. But for the main question, it is still a charge attack as the others have stated.

WoldGnome
03-16-2015, 04:52 AM
One additional caveat though. If the assaulting model kills its charge target with the assault shot then it can make its melee attack against another model in melee (assuming it did end its movement engaging its charge target). However the attack damage is not boosted in this case.

It doesn't sound like this was the issue in your game though.