PDA

View Full Version : 1st player deployment question

Ice Queen
03-14-2015, 06:33 PM
I've always thought both players have a 10" deployment. However at my LGS my opponent won the starting roll and chose to go second and he told me that I was only allowed 7" for deployment. I decided to just go with it because I didn't want to cause any issues. We were not playing any scenarios.

Is the player 1 deployment for a non-scenario game 7" or 10" and where can I find this rule?

Leonard_Dukes
03-14-2015, 06:37 PM
The core rule books suggest a 10" deployment for both players and have a few select scenarios for basic play.

Most games nowadays follow the Steamroller format, however, which has a 7" and 10" deployment for player 1 and 2, respectively, as well as rules for flags and objectives that differ greatly from the core rules book.

You can find the complete Steamroller 2015 rules here. (http://files.privateerpress.com/op/sr2015/SteamrollerRules2015.pdf)

Ice Queen
03-14-2015, 06:41 PM
Thank you. I was not aware that most games now follow Steamroller format.

Leonard_Dukes
03-14-2015, 06:46 PM
Thank you. I was not aware that most games now follow Steamroller format.

There's no hard and fast rule that says that people must, but as it forms the basis of most competitive format events, it's easily the most popular format for many casual games and events, as well.

Actual results and local customs may vary.

SCSkunk
03-15-2015, 08:05 AM
While I agree that most people play with the Steamroller guidelines, if you were not playing with scenarios as stated above, then you were not playing with the Steamroller guidelines. Therefor, it should have been default 10" deployment zones with Caster kill as the win condition. Did I mis-interpret that?

rydiafan
03-15-2015, 09:58 AM
Everyone in this thread is correct.

Always make sure you and your opponent are on the same page as far as what, if any, Steamroller rules you are using in your game, as they can differ from the rules in books.

Ice Queen
03-15-2015, 03:38 PM
I thought the deployment was a little weird. I will make sure to discuss deployment before the starting roll in the future. I knew that scenario play had different guidelines.