PDA

View Full Version : line of sight question

Shado
03-15-2015, 02:50 PM
Hi guys!

Trying to determine if I have been playing line of sight incorrectly for the last 9 or 10 years...

Say I have a unit of small based troops base to base for shield wall and a large jack behind them. (Example: high shills with an avalancher behind them)

I am being told I do not have line of sight to small based targets because the shield wall troops are blocking line of sight.

Is this correct? Looking at page 43, and that would be correct?

Looking at the example on page 44, butcher can see the crusader, but does line of sight nor work both ways?

Thanks!!

Grey Templar
03-15-2015, 02:55 PM
Line of sight does not work both ways because the base size of the model drawing line of sight doesn't matter. Only the model you are drawing los to and models that are between.

Say we have a line of medium bases with no gaps.

On one side of the line is a Colossal and a heavy warjack. On the other side is a heavy warjack, a medium based model, and a small based model.

On the side with the colossal both models can see the heavy warjack on the other side of the medium bases, but all the other models cannot be seen.

On the other side, everyone can see the Colossal and the warjack and their bases are larger than the medium bases in between.

juckto
03-15-2015, 03:28 PM
Unless you're on a hill.

Leonard_Dukes
03-15-2015, 03:37 PM
Unless you're on a hill.

Or determining if a piece of terrain is blocking LOS from one model to another. Technically, you're using model volume there, but that's directly correlated to base size (with few exceptions).

Whipray
03-16-2015, 06:18 AM
Hi guys!

Trying to determine if I have been playing line of sight incorrectly for the last 9 or 10 years...

Say I have a unit of small based troops base to base for shield wall and a large jack behind them. (Example: high shills with an avalancher behind them)

I am being told I do not have line of sight to small based targets because the shield wall troops are blocking line of sight.

Worth noting about your example is that the High Shields have a special rule (Ranked Attack) that creates an exception to the normal line of sight rules for the Avalancher behind them: friendly faction models can ignore them for the purposes of Line of Sight.