PDA

View Full Version : Moving AOE's

huffer0001
03-15-2015, 10:43 PM
I got into a discussion with another player today and he used Shield Guard to take a hit from the Cynarian Avenger's Seismic cannon. The player who Shield Guarded the attack said the AoE moved to the Shield Guard model (an aspis in this case). I was pretty sure that AoE's that directly hit and are then Shield Guarded stayed where they were. Could someone please help me point me in the direction please to whether they AoE's move because of shield guard or for that matter Sacrifical Pawn, Sucker! and so on.
Thanks.

Brakke
03-15-2015, 10:54 PM
The AOE is centered on a model directly hit. If a model uses Shield Guard, it is directly hit by the attack.

I'd put it on the Shield Guard. Not sure if the rules are perfectly clear on this.

silluen
03-15-2015, 11:10 PM
https://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?222448-How-does-shield-guard-and-AoEs-and-Sprays-work&highlight=shield+guard

The link above is answered and locked. You can consider that it is officially right.

Search helps~ :)

Leonard_Dukes
03-15-2015, 11:35 PM
Per Solkan's link, the AOE template doesn't move.

The reason for this somewhat counterintuitive treatment is that the rules for AOE attacks instruct you to:

Center the AOE template over the point of impact - in the case of a direct hit, the center of the targeted model's base.

While normally, the model directly hit by an AOE is the same as the model targeted by the attack, Shield Guard changes which model is directly hit without changing which model was targeted.

Canadianized
03-16-2015, 04:33 AM
It also depends on what type of AOE. If the attack is an AOE type, then yes, Solkan is right. If it creates an AOE on the model hit, like the Woldwrath's gun, then it would go to the shield guard.

Raverrn
03-16-2015, 10:18 AM
Note that, even though the model shielded was in the AoE, it would not be knocked down - it still isn't hit.

Brakke
03-16-2015, 04:11 PM
Per Solkan's link, the AOE template doesn't move.

The reason for this somewhat counterintuitive treatment is that the rules for AOE attacks instruct you to:

While normally, the model directly hit by an AOE is the same as the model targeted by the attack, Shield Guard changes which model is directly hit without changing which model was targeted.

Ahhh solid. Of course there would be two possible situations for this.