PDA

View Full Version : Jack Marshal: checking CMD range

XC18
03-16-2015, 10:16 PM
Sorry if this question was already asked before (my search-fu is super bad, especially when using keywords as common as CMD, jack marshal , ...)

=> When can we check that the jack is under Command range of its marshal controller ?

From the Prime book, it simply says that the jack should be in CMD range to get the "fake" focus from the marshal or when the controller does a Drive check.
So I assume that checking CMD range can only be done at these specific moments.

But while reading the Ranking officer rule in warroom, I read that the unit jack marshal can check at any time during its activation or during the activation of the controlled warjack.

I assume now this rule is not specific to a unit ack marshall with a ranking officer, but for any jack marshal, am I right ?

Stormpuppy_Infantry
03-16-2015, 10:24 PM
Nothing says that you can ckeck if a warjack controlled by a 'Jack Marshal is within its controller's command range. You should be confused about that. What is the actual sentence?

A Ranking Officer does not becomes the controller of the warjack if the unit have 'Jack Marshal.

Leonard_Dukes
03-16-2015, 10:25 PM
When can we check that the jack is under Command range of its marshal controller ?

Normally, only when the CMD range needs to be measured (https://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?34623-Something-about-measuring-your-control-area-and-Cygnar-jack-marshals&p=504436&viewfull=1#post504436) to attempt/resolve an ability, such as the Warjack attempting to use one of the 'Jack Marshal benefits (the "fake" focus ability) or when the 'Jack Marshal is attempting to Drive the Warjack.

But while reading the Ranking officer rule in warroom, I read that the unit jack marshal can check at any time during its activation or during the activation of the controlled warjack.

This is a modification of the base 'Jack Marshall rules provided by the Ranking Officer. Absent a Ranking Officer in a 'Jack Marshal unit, defer to the default rules for 'Jack Marshals, which allow checking CMD range only on a "need to know" basis.

XC18
03-16-2015, 10:36 PM
If you check the part Ranking officer rules : there are 3 paragraphs.

1st paragraph indeed writes " Ranking officer does not become controller of the Jack blablabla..."

Then the 2nd paragraph is: "The unit 'jack marshal can check to see if the warjacks it controls are in its command range at any time during its activation or during the activation of a warjack it controls."

There is no mention of Ranking Officer in that paragraph. So that's why I wonder : can I consider that as a general rule for ALL jack marshals ?

Leonard_Dukes
03-16-2015, 10:37 PM
So that's why I wonder : can I consider that as a general rule for ALL jack marshals ?

Negatory. It's a special rule applied only when a Ranking Officer is present in a 'Jack Marshal unit.

XC18
03-16-2015, 10:41 PM
But... why having a ranking officer suddenly allows the marshal to check if the jack is in CMD range "at ANY time during his activation and the jack activation", it does not makes any sense..

Leonard_Dukes
03-16-2015, 10:51 PM
But... why having a ranking officer suddenly allows the marshal to check if the jack is in CMD range "at ANY during his activation and the jack activation", it does not makes any sense..

That's just part of what a Ranking Officer does. Just as a Standard Bearer allows its unit to reroll failed Command Checks or a model with the Commander advantage allows nearby models to use its CMD stat for some purposes, that's just what they do.

Think about it this way: if a unit's 'Jack Marshal could normally check its CMD range to a marhalled Warjack, why would that need to be included in the Ranking Officer rules but not be included in the normal 'Jack Marshal rules?

solkan
03-16-2015, 10:57 PM
It's not War Room organizational accident, by the way.

In Wraith, on page 17, the quoted paragraph is the second paragraph of Ranking Officers and 'Jack Marshal.

Why does the Ranking Officer make a difference? Who knows. But it's the second of three paragraphs explaining what happens when you've got a Ranking Officer and 'Jack Marshal in a unit.

Stormpuppy_Infantry
03-16-2015, 11:33 PM
Yeah. Wrath also says so. I think that the paragraph should be re-writed.