PDA

View Full Version : Does the hero Steelsoul Protector flank with itself? (Riven Bonds upgrades)

Sami
03-17-2015, 07:31 AM
Perfect Precision - This model gains Flank [Faction]. (When a model with Flank [Faction] makes a melee attack against an enemy model within the melee range of a friendly model of the type indicated, this model gains +2 to attack rolls and gains an additional damage die.)

The hero Steelsoul Protector is friendly to itself.
The hero Steelsoul Protector is the same faction as itself.
The the enemy model is within the melee range of the hero Steelsoul Protector (it has to be to make the attack), meaning that the enemy model is within the melee range of a friendly Faction model.
The type specified by Flank is simply "Faction" and doesn't specify "another Faction model" or something similar, e.g. Reptile Hounds have "Flank [Another Reptile Hound]". The rules for flank don't specify another model either.

So, will the hero Steelsoul Protector flank itself, thus always have +2 to hit and an additional damage dice on its melee attacks? If so, is this intended?

AcidOverride
03-17-2015, 07:41 AM
I think it is pretty clear that the intent is not for the Steelsoul to be an effective MAT 8 POW 12 Weapon Master at all times...but it does look that by a strict reading it does fit the requirements to trigger flank. However, as all other Flank effects require that you have a second model, I would assume the intent is for this one to require this as well.

StemTheTide
03-17-2015, 08:29 AM
Has this not been the case with many flank rules in the game? Like Constance Blaize for instance. She reads as though she flanks with herself. But she clearly doesn't.

AcidOverride
03-17-2015, 08:33 AM
Constance Blaize does not flank with herself. She flanks with "Non-Warcaster Morrowan", she is a caster, therefore cannot flank with herself. I've been trying to think of another model that has a flank rule that would include them (like Reptile Hounds if they didn't say ANOTHER Reptile Hound), but I can't find one.

Stormpuppy_Infantry
03-17-2015, 08:34 AM
Has this not been the case with many flank rules in the game? Like Constance Blaize for instance. She reads as though she flanks with herself. But she clearly doesn't.

Constance Blaize has Flank[non-warcaster Morrowan]. Constance Blaize herself is a warcaster model.

It seems that hero Steelsoul Protector will get the Flank bonus, and it needs an errata.

SageofLodoss
03-17-2015, 08:39 AM

I believe Constance's flank says "non-warcaster Morrowan," which excludes her that way.

However, I believe there was a previous example of Flank not triggering itself on a single model.

DarkLegacy
03-17-2015, 12:33 PM
The intent is that the model should not get flank with itself but with another model in the Faction. It should be played this way during the league. There won't be an errata for it.