PDA

View Full Version : Different animus on different models in the same unit

Meestho
03-22-2015, 06:15 AM
Hi all,

I have been looking to many threads regarding animus and units but couldn't find the answer to this specific question. The rule concerning animi says that a model or unit can only have one friendly animus at a time. Than later on it says that the older friendly animus expires if only a single model in the unit is affected by the new friendly animus.

Here is my question:

Let's say I have a unit of warders and I cast rage on two of them with my caster. If I use my pyre troll to cast flaming fist, does the rage animus expires on the two warders?

Thank you.

JN

Leo_the_Rat
03-22-2015, 06:24 AM
Without knowing the exact wording it works like this.

If the whole unit is effected by a friendly animus and another friendly animus is cast upon either the unit or any model in that unit then the first animus is removed.

If a model is effected by a friendly animus and then another friendly animus is cast you look to the second animus. If the second one effects the unit then the model would be effected by the second animus and loses the first. If the second animus effects another model only then the model is not effected and will retain its animus.

Hope this helps

edit: A model can only be effected by one friendly animus at a time. Any time a second animus would effect any model in a unit the first animus is removed (certain effects from the animus may remain such as frenzy from primal). If an animus is removed then it is removed as a whole and therefore the entire unit would lose the effect even if only one model in the unit would be effected by a second friendly animus.

Meestho
03-22-2015, 06:36 AM
Yes I know that but the wording seem to imply that a unit can't have different animus on individual model even if they affect only a model, hence my question.

JN

Jester5613
03-22-2015, 07:00 AM
Yes I know that but the wording seem to imply that a unit can't have different animus on individual model even if they affect only a model, hence my question.

JN

Say you cast the rage animus on a couple of guys in a unit, then cast an animi on the unit that effects the entire unit, not just certain models in it. The rage animus would expire because a model can never have 2 animi on it at the same time. The one cast first expires.

vintersbastard
03-22-2015, 07:05 AM
You misunderstand the rule.
It is possible for animi to target whole units (the same way upkeeps can), and in such a case, targeting a single model in the unit with a second animus (be it the same or a different one) will cause the animus on the unit to expire.
Most animi target only models; these animi do not care what other models are affected by previous anime, and do not cause them to expire.

Meestho
03-22-2015, 07:16 AM
Except there is no animi that target whole unit. No offence guys but I'd like an infernal answering this as the wording does seem to imply that a different animus cast on a model in the unit would cause the others to expire. The wording says that a unit can a a friendly animus on it at the same time. Therefore multiple rage is the same animus and would be ok in that case but rage and flaming fist wouldn't be, base on the wording.

JN

Jester5613
03-22-2015, 07:24 AM
Except there is no animi that target whole unit. No offence guys but I'd like an infernal answering this as the wording does seem to imply that a different animus cast on a model in the unit would cause the others to expire. The wording says that a unit can a a friendly animus on it at the same time. Therefore multiple rage is the same animus and would be ok in that case but rage and flaming fist wouldn't be, base on the wording.

JN

You seem to be caught up in the RAW vs RAI argument here. Your question has already been answered in this thread https://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?61711-Casting-the-same-animus-on-multiple-models-in-the-same-unit

Meestho
03-22-2015, 07:29 AM
You seem to be caught up in the RAW vs RAI argument here. Your question has already been answered in this thread https://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?61711-Casting-the-same-animus-on-multiple-models-in-the-same-unit

Except this is about the same animus. The question is about different animus.

JN

Jester5613
03-22-2015, 07:32 AM
Except this is about the same animus. The question is about different animus.

JN

Did you read the whole thread?

"Ok cool that makes sense. Following up with that I should be able to put different animi on the champ 1 model then the champ 2 model if preferred as long as the new animus doesn't target the whole unit. If it did target a unit would then wipe the first animus away due to the 1 animus rule."

"That is correct."

vintersbastard
03-22-2015, 08:54 AM
Except there is no animi that target whole unit.
Except that there's still the potential for animi that target whole units, and incidentally, in Mk I, there even were.
The fact that the upkeep spell rules use the exact same language compounds this, as well.

Deranith
03-22-2015, 09:25 AM
Let's say I have a unit of warders and I cast rage on two of them with my caster. If I use my pyre troll to cast flaming fist, does the rage animus expires on the two warders?

1. If Warder A and B are affected by Rage, and your Pyre Troll casts Flaming Fists on Warder A or B, Rage expires because of the animus stacking (only 1 friendly allowed at a time)
2. If Warder A and B are affected by Rage, and your Pyre Troll casts Flaming Fists on Warder C, then Warder A and B do not lose their current animus effect and Warder C gains Flaming Fists.

The reason for #2 is because the target of each animus is a single model and at no time are any of the models affected by multiple animi. Model/unit only applies to what the target of the effect was.

Leo_the_Rat
03-22-2015, 10:58 AM
Regarding the same animus of different members of the same unit- as long as you have some way to cast the same animus multiple times then you can have the same animus on different members of the same unit. The rules specify a model or unit can only have one animus effecting it at the same time. So if the animus only targets models then the unit is not effected. That is why you can have more than one animus within a unit. If the animus targets a model then you look to the model portion of the rules. If the animus effects a unit then you would look to the unit rules.