PDA

View Full Version : Rule Question: Deathly Domain and Soulstorm

CHaddimus
03-29-2015, 09:44 PM
So I had this come up at a tournament yesterday when my opponent and I were both playing a Sacral Vault. My Vault activates and shoots a bloodtracker, kills it, I spend a soul to take control of it and walks over to another bloodtracker to attack it. During this movement it walks into the Soulstorm of the opposing Vault, what happens?

Does this disabled bloodtracker take another point of damage and die to Soulstorm immediately?

If so, does that bloodtracker now provide a soul to the enemy Vault?

Please figure this corner case scenario out! Thx!

DragonPup
03-29-2015, 09:52 PM
I do not believe so as the Bloodtracker is already sitting at zero health and boxed when you took her over. The Bloodtracker will not produce a soul as it will be removed from play.

scout's honor
03-29-2015, 10:05 PM
edit: disregard, brainfarted. Too early in the morning, too little coffee. Sorry.

Mod_GoLu
03-30-2015, 01:44 AM
I moved this into the rules forum, which is a better place to find a precise answer.

solkan
03-30-2015, 03:05 AM
Point #1: Deathly Dominion doesn't heal the model:

When this weapon boxes a living or Undead non-warcaster, non-warlock enemy warrior model, you can immediately spend one soul token to take control of the model and make a full advance with the enemy model followed by a normal melee attack, then the boxed model is removed from play. The boxed model cannot be targeted by free strikes during this movement.

So, during the resolution of Deathly Dominion, the model in question has no remaining damage boxes, and is just sitting there in the boxed state.

Point #2: Prime Mk II, page 66 "A model can't suffer more damage than it has boxes."

The boxed model is incapable of suffering any additional damage.

If Soul Storm had any other effects, those would apply to the boxed model when it entered the area. But the "immediately suffer 1 damage point" effect doesn't do anything because the boxed model mechanically is unable to suffer that damage. So the boxed model advances into the Soul Storm area of effect and "nothing happens", and you proceed to resolving the attack granted by Deathly Dominion.

Some things like Psycho Venom heal their boxed model by one point, and make their effected models vulnerable to being destroyed because the model can now suffer damage.

CHaddimus
03-31-2015, 08:53 AM
That was kinda my thought Proccess as well. But my PG friend pointed out that they can still suffer damage because it does not specifically say "this model cannot be damaged", like eGaspys feat does

solkan
03-31-2015, 11:29 AM
That was kinda my thought Proccess as well. But my PG friend pointed out that they can still suffer damage because it does not specifically say "this model cannot be damaged", like eGaspys feat does

Your "PG friend" is incorrect. The counter example to his or her hypothesis is the Knights Exemplar Seneshal and its Restoration ability. A disabled Knights Exemplar Seneschal is incapable of suffering further damage, regardless of the number of times you may attempt to attack it or push it through damage fields.

Note, by the way that Spectral Legion specifies that the models "cannot be attacked or damaged for one turn" and then, at the end of the paragraph specifies "A model with Ghostly cannot be targeted by free strikes." Redundancy, or the lack of redundancy, doesn't change game mechanics.

Edit: More importantly, models returned to play are healed (and thus can suffer damage if nothing else prevents it). Thus, in order to prevent those models being damaged, Spectral Legion has to include language to do so.

DarkLegacy
03-31-2015, 11:43 AM
Solkan speaks the truth.

xenwall
03-31-2015, 01:04 PM
Solkan speaks the truth.

Careful there DL, as an Infernal your words hold power, and making such an open-ended statement like this could lead to trouble down the road. Tales may be woven of the day Solkan was accidentally given the power of infallibility and became Solkan, Truth-Speaker.

CHaddimus
04-01-2015, 12:38 PM
So can I get an Infernal to clarify the original question for me?

Leonard_Dukes
04-01-2015, 12:58 PM
So can I get an Infernal to clarify the original question for me?

DarkLegacy (an Infernal) upheld Solkan's answer, which is that since Deathly Dominion did not restore any health boxes to the model in question, it cannot suffer any damage, as it has no remaining health boxes to which you can assign damage.