PDA

View Full Version : question on granted abilities

fscx
05-13-2010, 06:02 PM
I have a question about granted abilities.
Does the model that grants a Granted Ability actually have the ability that it grants.

And if the ability triggers on death or removal does the unit attached to the model that grants the ability still get to use it once triggered.

Thank you in advance.

Ecks

hausdorff space
05-13-2010, 06:17 PM
The model gets what it grants.

Do you want to give an example... there are different granted abilities each which may trigger differently.

Moredeth
05-13-2010, 06:21 PM
This question is in regards to the dawngaurd Granted: Vengeance.

The question is weather the unit receives it's vengeance movement+attack if the model granting vengeance is killed FIRST, in the prior turn.

See the following thread for details:

https://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?t=22622

hausdorff space
05-13-2010, 06:26 PM
Are there three of you posting asking about the same question?

Vengeance works as indicated in the thread you linked to (and in the one that links to).
It triggers in the Maintenance phase, off models having been killed in the previous turn.
If the model granting the benefit was killed, then the unit no longer has the benefit; and it doesn't trigger as it's not there to trigger.

sepher32
05-13-2010, 08:30 PM
Not all models get the ability they grant. But in most cases they do. (edit: with granted they always get it. I was thinking of Leadership, which is quite similar)

Also when you lose it its gone it doesn't stick around until your next maintenance phase just 'cause it would be neat.

petegrrrr
05-13-2010, 09:30 PM
An ability that does not exist cannot be triggered.

you have to have vengeance in order for vengeance to trigger. Once you lose it, it's gone.

Granted abilities cease to exist when the model granting them is destroyed.

So while the conditions for vengeance were met, it is completely irrelevant, as you no longer have Vengeance.

Mootaz
05-14-2010, 01:00 AM
If your unit no longer has the Vengeance rule during the time you want to use it, you cannot use Vengeance. So if I kill the Dawnguard officer, you cannot use Vengeance.

fscx
05-14-2010, 06:11 PM
My question is about all granted abilities, not just one specific granted ability. To be more specific does the model that grants a granted ability have the ability innately or is it granted due to the model grant ability.

ecks

drugar101
05-14-2010, 06:29 PM
you have to go by the actual text of the granted ability but most if not all probably start with the phrase "While this model is in play, models in this unit...."

And of course the model with that granted ability is a model in its own unit...