PDA

View Full Version : units and end of activation

ScottMcd
05-04-2015, 03:44 PM
When do models in á unit end activation? Page 42 of Hordes states that "Troopers do not activate individually. Instead the entire unit activates at once. When a unit begins its activation, every trooper in it activates." It does not mention ending activation, but my assumption is that troopers won't end activation until the unit activates. Will this also apply to when models in a unit end movement or action? Since I don't like to assume, I thought I would ask here.

This affects when end of activation (movement/action) effects take place on a unit such as models ending their activation within 2" of a model with the freezer animus.

Example: a slag troll has the freezer animus on it. (Paraphase: a model ending its activation within 2" gains stationary for 1 round.). A unit of Druids of Oboros with 3 members activate, move, and begin actions. Druid 1 uses force bolt to hit and push the troll from 5 inches away to 3 inches away. Druid 2 uses force bolt and pushes the troll to within 2" away from him, and no other druid. Druid 3 activates and pushes the troll to within 2" of all three druids.
Is druid 2 and 3 stationary or are all 3 druids stationary?

My guess is all 3.

vintersbastard
05-04-2015, 03:47 PM
Sounds correct to me - check out the Activation Timing chart at the end of Primal for the details.

The only time troopers end their activations separately is when some rule causes them to end their activation prematurely, e.g. after running or failing a charge.

mirrikat45
05-04-2015, 04:57 PM
Models are definitely active until something ends their activation (such as a model running or failing a charge) or the unit completes all of it's actions. The timing chart shows that during a unit's activation you continue to repeat steps during the unit's activation this activation wouldn't end until all models complete their actions.

Troopers do not activate individually. Instead the entire unit activates at once.

This pretty much sums it up. They don't activate individually and therefore wouldn't end their activations individually either. It's all done at once.

ScottMcd
05-04-2015, 05:03 PM
Great idea! I'm now looking at the activation timing and it doesn't mention ending activation, only action, which leads me to believe end of activation is after step 11 and all models in a unit end at the same time.

For movement and action its a little awkwardly worded:
6. Model makes normal movement
7. Resolve effects that occur at end of normal movement
8. If activating a unit, repeat steps 6 and 7 for all troopers, then resolve effects that occur at the end of unit's movement.

So troopers end normal movement at step 7 and unit movement at ste 8? Is there a difference between normal movement and unit movement?

mirrikat45
05-04-2015, 05:41 PM
Normal movement is movement that occurs during a model's movement phase of it's activation. A unit's movement is the movement of all models in the unit.

So for example, you would trigger effects that say "When a model enters or ends its movement" at step 7, but effects such as a terrifying entity check in step 8.