PDA

View Full Version : Assault order while engaged

Tagakoner
05-29-2015, 02:40 AM
Hi there

Just a new guy's question on the assault order.

Say I have a unit of storm knights with UA, and they are relatively spaced out.
Previous turn, my opponent ran some of his troops to engage my front 3 guys.
Now in my turn I want to give the assault order. Obviously the front 3 guys don't move,
the next 2 guys assault, but they move less than 3" and the last 4 guys assault and move
more than 3".

My 2 questions are thus:
1. Can I still give the assault (or other orders) when some of my unit is engaged?
2. Assuming I can give the assault order, who gets to shoot along with their melee attack?

Thanks for the help!

haze no ki
05-29-2015, 02:48 AM
1. Yes, being engaged does not prevent orders in any way.
2. The ones that chose to charge (rarther than run), and charged someone they weren't in melee with at the start of your model's activation. They get to shoot even if they didn't move 3".

theironking
05-29-2015, 02:51 AM
Additionally, those models that began less than 3" away from their charge target will still get to make their ranged attack from the assault order, but will not receive an additional die on their melee charge attack.

EdwardQ
05-29-2015, 05:17 AM
Additionally, those models that began less than 3" away from their charge target will still get to make their ranged attack from the assault order, but will not receive an additional die on their melee charge attack.

The charge rule states that if the model moves less than 3", its first attack is not a charge attack. the Assault rule states as part of the charge, after moving but before making its charge attack, it can make one range attack...

So if you move less than 3" you don't get the ranged attack.

vintersbastard
05-29-2015, 05:45 AM
The charge rule states that if the model moves less than 3", its first attack is not a charge attack. the Assault rule states as part of the charge, after moving but before making its charge attack, it can make one range attack...

So if you move less than 3" you don't get the ranged attack.I'm quite certain you're wrong on that count - assaulting a target while staying engaged within a previously established melee (which usually involves moving less than 3") has been a valid tactic since the first days of Warmachine.

Edit: and here's the link to an applicable ruling (https://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?162233-Force-Lock-and-Assault&p=2059560&viewfull=1#post2059560).

EdwardQ
05-29-2015, 07:23 AM
Well I would disagree but its been ruled that there isn't a min distance. Thanks for the link. That changes a few things for me and my meta.

haze no ki
05-29-2015, 07:29 AM
More precisely, the "before the charge attack" clause is there to give you the timing of the assault shot, not a prerequisite for it. Could it be worded better? Maybe, but that's not how it is.