PDA

View Full Version : Rolling dice

AJ the Ronin
05-18-2010, 12:51 PM
Let say the only chance a model has to hit is rolling double 6'

The player may choose not to roll at all and auto-miss?

This may be important when you are rolling an attack with AoE and you want to miss but you are still on range.

rydiafan
05-18-2010, 12:53 PM
Unless an attack auto-hits or auto-misses you must roll the dice. You cannot miss on purpose.

Yentz
05-18-2010, 12:54 PM
The only time you can choose to not roll dice to hit is if you are attacking a model that is "Auto Hit", like hitting a knocked down, or stationary target in melee. Or if it is Auto-miss like Stealth.

You have to roll to hit if you are targeting a model with a ranged attack.

AJ the Ronin
05-18-2010, 12:57 PM
Pretty much what I though, yet I can't find it on the book and "point it on the book" would be appreciated.

admanb
05-18-2010, 01:06 PM
Pretty much what I though, yet I can't find it on the book and "point it on the book" would be appreciated.

The Warmachine rules have a consistent (if unwritten) policy of "if it doesn't say you can, you can't." Attacks say you declare the attack, you roll the dice.

AJ the Ronin
05-18-2010, 01:11 PM
Actually, I keep searching on the book and it does say you have to roll the dice. Thanks for the brainstorming.

luxionmk2
05-18-2010, 01:17 PM
If my mechanic needs double sixes to hit your bonejack. I'll just pretend I missed and move on with the game. If you prefer that I roll, I'll roll it out. I haven't had any problems with my opponents letting me miss their model for pointless rolls, and vice versa. However, if that's against the rules, than I would be at fault :)

However, if a miss would have other consequences (such as AOE weapons quite possibly affecting other models), then I would always want to roll it out. Not only because of the rules, but because of the potential game-changing consequences.

admanb
05-18-2010, 01:19 PM
Well, sure. If you don't get anything out of missing there's no reason to force you to roll. I don't know why you would even declare that attack. :P

But if you make an attack that will have an effect if it misses, you have to roll.

rydiafan
05-18-2010, 01:21 PM
If my mechanic needs double sixes to hit your bonejack. I'll just pretend I missed and move on with the game. If you prefer that I roll, I'll roll it out. I haven't had any problems with my opponents letting me miss their model for pointless rolls, and vice versa. However, if that's against the rules, than I would be at fault :)

It's one thing to not bother attacking at all when it's a long shot to hit. The issue at hand would be choosing to miss a model to get an AOE to deviate farther, or choosing to miss your own model when you charged for the extra 3" movement for your caster.

AJ the Ronin
05-18-2010, 01:49 PM

However, if a miss would have other consequences (such as AOE weapons quite possibly affecting other models), then I would always want to roll it out. Not only because of the rules, but because of the potential game-changing consequences.
It is against the rules. I found it. Book tells you on page 245:

2. Roll the dice

Scoce
05-18-2010, 02:17 PM
What about deliberately missing to hit a model in melee with your original target, who has a higher def?

admanb
05-18-2010, 02:22 PM
What about deliberately missing to hit a model in melee with your original target, who has a higher def?

Still illegal, and pointless. You still have to roll to hit the actual target.

Vondell
05-18-2010, 02:23 PM
I would roll simply out of principle. Plus, it would make sure I never "didn't" make a roll when I felt like it. That can get a guy in trouble. :)

luxionmk2
05-18-2010, 02:44 PM
Ya, I shouldn't be suggesting how to NOT follow the rules :) The rules require you to roll the dice, so roll em!

I'm skipping the dice roll when the results are harmless, or rather, more beneficial to my opponent. However, that's breaking the rules. Bad luxionmk2!!

Well, sure. If you don't get anything out of missing there's no reason to force you to roll. I don't know why you would even declare that attack. :P
The mechanic charged a mechanithrall, which died to his buddy and so he can now redirect his attack to something else...

I do find myself in many of these situations where I usually just don't bother attacking. I save my double-sixes for more important roles, like command checks :P

AJ the Ronin
05-18-2010, 03:42 PM
Thing is there are only 1 ways to "deliberately miss" and that is declaring a range or charge against a target that is obviously out of range. If you are in range dice rolling are in order.

Although I can think of one situation were you may skip the dice roll: When a warjack is rolling only 1 die and 6 + MAT/RAT won't meet the target DEF.