PDA

View Full Version : Incinerate order and similar cloud timings

Themainmenoth
06-05-2015, 08:03 PM
This goes with Murder of crows and Covering fire and the like, It states the Following verbatim:
"Models entering or ending their activations in the AOE suffer a (x) Damage roll."
so this could mean
"Models entering (their actiavtions) or ending their (Activations) in the AOE suffer x"
or
"Models entering (the AOE) or ending there activations in the (AOE) Suffer x"
he there are again reworded:
"Models that end their activation or enter the AOE at any point during their activation, take an (x) damage roll."
or
"Models that enter the AOE at any time take an (x) damage roll, if they started their activation in the effect and do not leave the effect they will also suffer an (x) damage roll."
Which way is the correct way of reading this?

AcidOverride
06-05-2015, 08:11 PM
If you are outside of the AOE and for any reason get moved inside the AOE, you take X. If you are inside when you start your activation and do not leave it before you end your activation, you take X.

Themainmenoth
06-05-2015, 08:27 PM
If you are outside of the AOE and for any reason get moved inside the AOE, you take X. If you are inside when you start your activation and do not leave it before you end your activation, you take X.

It just doesn't make sense to me that way, the enter or ending coming right before "Their activation" makes me really think that it's speaking for the activation, not the aeo which comes later in the sentence. as in, "I punch or kick you in the face at 3 o'clock." doesn't make sense to me that I would punch you in anything but "The face" at 3 o'clock.

AcidOverride
06-05-2015, 08:42 PM
Maybe rewording the way it works will help:

Models entering the AOE suffer X.
Models ending their activations in the AOE suffer X.

The reason it is worded the way it is is because we don't want models that both enter AND end their activations in the AOE to suffer X twice. So in we use the exclusive "or" to say they can take one or the other, but never both.

Hence we get the most word efficient way to combine those two sentences:

Models entering or ending their activations in the AOE suffer X.

kasiski
06-05-2015, 10:14 PM
Well, there is no such thing as "entering an activation," so it is pretty clear. Activations begin and end in rules.

The Captain
06-06-2015, 02:12 AM
Entering is a game term. It refers to a model's position changing from outside an area to inside an area. It does not refer to beginning an activation, which is instead referred to as "beginning its activation".