PDA

View Full Version : Trencher Buster Flank

guspm
06-07-2015, 07:54 AM
RAW as written, it seems that the trencher buster can give itself the flank bonus. Is this correct or is the meth really getting to me?

denzato
06-07-2015, 07:58 AM
Flank triggers when another model of the specified type is in melee with the model. A model doesn't trigger their own flank. It's the same reason why Constance Blaize doesn't trigger flank for herself

Leonard_Dukes
06-07-2015, 08:01 AM
[Obligatory warning that you won't get an "official" answer until the model is officially released.]

I think the closest analogue we have to this is a League version of the Steelsoul Protector, which was given Flank [faction] such that it received the bonus from any other faction model.

It was ruled that the intent was for the model not to give itself the Flank bonus, but that there would be no errata, presumably since the model only would temporarily exist during the League.

If I had to guess at developer intent, I'd say the Buster doesn't give itself a Flank bonus, but we likely won't know for sure until after its general release date.

Read-as-written, it does get the bonus.

Leonard_Dukes
06-07-2015, 08:04 AM
Flank triggers when another model of the specified type is in melee with the model. A model doesn't trigger their own flank. It's the same reason why Constance Blaize doesn't trigger flank for herself

The reason Blaize doesn't get the bonus is because her rule states "Flank [non-warcaster Morrowan].

The Captain
06-07-2015, 09:50 AM

This is what I thought until I checked the wording of Flank. It does not actually specify "another" model of the specified type. The Trench Buster is just the first model with the Flank rule who is of the type to fulfill the requirements of its Flank ability.

AcidOverride
06-07-2015, 10:00 AM
This is what I thought until I checked the wording of Flank. It does not actually specify "another" model of the specified type. The Trench Buster is just the first model with the Flank rule who is of the type to fulfill the requirements of its Flank ability.

That is exactly what we said during Path of Destruction Season One: Riven Bonds.

If the intent was for him to trigger his own Flanking he would have been given 2 higher MAT and 2 higher P+S, and no Flank.

guspm
06-07-2015, 10:06 AM
I believe the intent is to flank off of someone else, but RAW and RAI are different and PP has a history of following RAW until Erratta fixes things. I assume that there will be an infernal ruling followed by updated errata in the future, but for now this seems legit.

Steampunk Jim
06-09-2015, 03:53 PM
Sounds like flank needs an errata for sure.

solkan
06-09-2015, 04:24 PM
The Infernal statement concerning:

Perfect Precision - This model gains Flank [Faction]. (When a model with Flank [Faction] makes a melee attack against an enemy model within the melee range of a friendly model of the type indicated, this model gains +2 to attack rolls and gains an additional damage die.)
on the Steelsoul Protector:
https://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?224541-Does-the-hero-Steelsoul-Protector-flank-with-itself-%28Riven-Bonds-upgrades%29

The intent is that the model should not get flank with itself but with another model in the Faction. It should be played this way during the league. There won't be an errata for it.

A.k.a. "Here's now it was intended--melee range of another friendly model. Play it as intended. For whatever reason, we're not changing the wording in this case."

slinkdawg
06-09-2015, 04:56 PM
The reason Blaize doesn't get the bonus is because her rule states "Flank [non-warcaster Morrowan].

This was an elegant way of wording the rule so that it never even came up as a question. But it will be interesting how it will play out in an instance like the Trench Buster.

DrillbossD
06-09-2015, 05:31 PM
Reptile Hounds have Flank [another Reptile Hound].

AcidOverride
06-09-2015, 06:05 PM
Yes...ANOTHER Reptile Hound...as in not itself.

guspm
06-09-2015, 10:09 PM
it seems strange that they have addressed and encountered it in other places and still printed it this way. The league model I can see not getting an errata because the league would just end. But should they not have followed the reptile hound route for wording? At the same time it is ridiculous not to just igve him +2 MAT and weapon master if they are intending to operate this way.

DarkLegacy
06-10-2015, 05:39 AM
Checking...

DarkLegacy
06-10-2015, 09:03 AM
The book is incorrect. The card is correct. This will be updated in the next errata.

Replace Flank [Trencher] with Flank [Another Trencher].

Stormpuppy_Infantry
06-10-2015, 09:04 AM
Thanks for the quick answer!