PDA

View Full Version : Special attack query

Tekanan
05-19-2010, 02:27 AM
I'm sure this question has been brought up but I am having trouble searching for past posts due to the new forum. This may sound like a very simple question, but due to various arguments with multiple parties, I have confused myself all over again.

1) On a charge, can a Cryx Slayer use his combo strike special attack as his charge attack?

2) On a charge, can a Khador Kodiak use his Vent Steam special attack as his charge attack?

If yes or no, why?

Oniwasabi
05-19-2010, 02:56 AM
The Slayer can use his combo strike *Attack as part of a charge. Why? Because Combostrike is an attack that is attached to a melee weapon, and therefore usable on a charge
(This is also true of Thresher, Combo Smite, and Tremor, as they are all *Attacks attached to melee weapons)

The Kodiak may not Vent Steam as a *Attack as part of a charge. Why? Because Vent Steam is not attached to a melee weapon and is therefore not a melee attack, and may not be used as part of a charge barring specific wording stating that it can be used on a charge.
(This is also true for the *Attack Combust on the Phoenix and Castigator)

The Devastator can use its Rain of Death *Attack as part of a charge. Why? Rain of Death is not attached to a melee weapon, BUT it does specifically state in the text that it can be used as part of a charge, but that you will not get a free damage boost against your charge target.
(I think this is the only *Attack that is not attached to a melee weapon that contains the wording allowing it to be used as part of a charge. I could be mistaken)

All cleared up now?

NmoLvr
05-19-2010, 04:11 AM
Oni is correct.

Here is the wording for charge in the pdf:

A charging model that ends its charge movement with its charge target in its melee range has made a successful charge. It must use its action to make a combat action, choosing to make either initial melee attacks or (if it can make a special attack with a melee weapon) a melee special attack.

Note the last three words.