PDA

View Full Version : Channelling CTRL range spells

Aerospider
07-23-2015, 01:11 PM
Is there ever any use in doing so?

Every CTRL range spell I've seen so far specifies in the text that the spell only applies to the caster's control area. Presumably the control area doesn't get measured from the channeller in this case.

Or does it?

E.g. Rapid Growth - "Place the AoE completely within this model's control area". 'This model' is still the caster, so even if Baldur channels it through a Gallows Grove the AoE still has to be placed completely within 12" of Baldur, so the GG doesn't help at all. Right?

SageofLodoss
07-23-2015, 01:15 PM
Is there ever any use in doing so?

Every CTRL range spell I've seen so far specifies in the text that the spell only applies to the caster's control area. Presumably the control area doesn't get measured from the channeller in this case.

Or does it?

E.g. Rapid Growth - "Place the AoE completely within this model's control area". 'This model' is still the caster, so even if Baldur channels it through a Gallows Grove the AoE still has to be placed completely within 12" of Baldur, so the GG doesn't help at all. Right?

You can't channel RNG CTRL spells, for pretty much exactly the reasoning you guessed: RNG CTRL spells always use the control area measured from the warlock/caster.

So Rapid Growth's forest would always need to be placed completely within 12" of Baldur.

xenwall
07-24-2015, 05:25 AM
I seem to remember a thread that was discussing channeling RNG CTRL spells and the conclusion was that yes, technically you can do it, but the CTRL is still measured from the warcaster. It was relevant because they were discussing pHaley channeling Temporal Barrier through Thorn for the sake of granting Thorn the additional movement. I'll see if I can't find that thread when I get into the office.

jandrese
07-24-2015, 07:14 AM
...but a spell with a RNG of "SELF" cannot be channeled.

Most control Area spells are RNG SELF, AoE CTRL. They cannot be channeled. Temporal Barrier is an example of a spell like this.

However, Rapid Growth as a RNG CTRL AoE 4. It looks like you could channel it although as mentioned above there would be no point to it since the spell text overrides normal targeting.

AcidOverride
07-25-2015, 10:02 PM
If there is a RNG CTRL spell that is OFF: YES (the only one I know of is Irusk2) AND does not ignore Line of Sight for targeting purposes (which Irusk2's DOES), then you might want to channel it in order to be able to get a betting line for that targeting.

Note: I don't know of any such spells off the top of my head, but one may exist, so I place this here for completion sake.

CAN you? Yes, does it matter? Normally not.

jandrese
07-27-2015, 08:58 AM
If there is a RNG CTRL spell that is OFF: YES (the only one I know of is Irusk2) AND does not ignore Line of Sight for targeting purposes (which Irusk2's DOES), then you might want to channel it in order to be able to get a betting line for that targeting.

Note: I don't know of any such spells off the top of my head, but one may exist, so I place this here for completion sake.

CAN you? Yes, does it matter? Normally not.

Not that Irusk has access to arc nodes in the first place...

There are a few other offensive spells with RNG: CTRL, but they all effectively turn some other model into an arc node for the attack. Examples include Primal Shock and Essence Blast.

AcidOverride
07-27-2015, 09:23 AM
Doh...I always think of Primal Shock as being RNG 8...spoiler: It isn't.