PDA

View Full Version : Line of sight - Laser measurements

Hazzy
07-24-2015, 02:41 AM
Can you freely use a laser from any point on the table to another point on the table? or does it have to be model to model?

I.E. can you laser a point on the table to a model to see where it would be possible to move a model to get line of sight on something?

vintersbastard
07-24-2015, 03:27 AM
You are only allowed to determine current LOS from your own models, nothing else.

solkan
07-24-2015, 05:16 AM
On the other hand, according to the "Judge Tournament Policy" document, it's permitted to use LOS tools to adjust the placement of proxy bases being used to indicate model movement.

And "How dare you bend over and use your eyeball to determine whether my model can see that point on the table" is a sportmanship issue. ;)

vintersbastard
07-24-2015, 07:52 AM
On the other hand, according to the "Judge Tournament Policy" document, it's permitted to use LOS tools to adjust the placement of proxy bases being used to indicate model movement.
Uhm, you might want to take a closer look at this (https://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?232537-Checking-opponent-LoS&p=3194314&viewfull=1#post3194314) and this (https://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?217226-LOS-Measuring-Judge-Document-and-Open-Knoweldge&p=2927994&viewfull=1#post2927994) one...

IceShadow
07-24-2015, 08:47 AM
Those aren't quite applicable to the question, though. The first one says you can't just measure your opponent's LoS, and the second says you can't put down a proxy base with the only intent being to check LoS.

So to answer the OP's question: No, you can't. You can measure your own model's LoS to any point on the board at any time, and you can use a proxy base to indicate where you're going and then use a laser to fine-tune the placement of that proxy base - but you're committed to moving at that point, even if you end up not finding a way to get the LoS you want with that proxy base position.

Hazzy
07-24-2015, 09:35 AM
Cool as i thought.

Is there a specific rule that mentions this?

As a friend of mine views the rules as "if it doesn't say you cant do something in the rulebook then you can"

Mod_Neldar
07-24-2015, 09:53 AM
Cool as i thought.

Is there a specific rule that mentions this?

As a friend of mine views the rules as "if it doesn't say you cant do something in the rulebook then you can"

He's viewing them wrong then. The rules tell you what you can do. If it isn't allowed by the rules, he can't do it.

IceShadow
07-24-2015, 10:08 AM
It's less a rule issue and more of a sportsmanship issue. Vinterbastard's second link is what you would show him.

DarkLegacy
07-24-2015, 10:17 AM
The rules also don't state I can't beat my opponents to within an inch of death with a toaster until they concede the game, either. This reasoning is entirely flawed and should be corrected ASAP. The rules tell you what you can do, no more, no less.

I'll have to pack my toaster for GenCon.

niceas
07-24-2015, 10:26 AM

Don't forget to toast your opponents.

Stormpuppy_Infantry
07-24-2015, 10:42 AM
Then the players should obey the decision of a judge, or the judge will toast them. :eek:

Well, as the others said, rules only tells what you can.

Oldgrue
07-24-2015, 11:30 AM
Save the room. I have a spare.

solkan
07-24-2015, 02:38 PM
Uhm, you might want to take a closer look at this (https://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?232537-Checking-opponent-LoS&p=3194314&viewfull=1#post3194314) and this (https://privateerpressforums.com/showthread.php?217226-LOS-Measuring-Judge-Document-and-Open-Knoweldge&p=2927994&viewfull=1#post2927994) one...

What, exactly, am I supposed to see there? You're linking to clarifications of "Use proxy bases for the approved uses", and my post was "It's permitted to use LOS tools to adjust the prlacement of proxy bases being used to indicate model movement." You know, this section of the response:

When using a base to assist with model movement, such as when determining if a model can fit between two models while advancing or when assisting with a charge lane, the player places the proxy base to indicate the intended final model placement. The player may use LOS tools to adjust the placement of the proxy base at this point. Once the player declares he is charging to the location of the proxy base, the base can no longer be adjusted.

That's not checking LOS to the model's current position, that's checking LOS from the intended position.

vintersbastard
07-24-2015, 03:28 PM
What, exactly, am I supposed to see there?You've got that exactly backwards. Read this:

there is no allowance to put down a proxy base 'just to see',
and this:

the Judge's Document doesn't change the legality of LOS mechanicsThis is correct. Prime only allows for checking LOS from your own models (as they currently are), nothing else.

That's not checking LOS to the model's current position, that's checking LOS from the intended position.No, it's using LOS to check whether you can get to the intended position. Very different thing.

Shyalas
07-24-2015, 07:03 PM
Well, there's no rule saying a dog can't play Warmachine...

kp_edge
07-25-2015, 12:09 AM
Well, there's no rule saying a dog can't play Warmachine...

http://fanaru.com/doge/image/18361-doge-follow-your-dreams.jpg